Renew visa

Hate to beat you all up on this subject. But I'm trying to make plans to get a new multiple entry visa. I checked out the cost of flying to Phnom Penh Cambodia round trip and it is more expensive then to fly to Bangkok. Is there anyone in Nha Trand that can tell me how they do this. I checked with a couple of local travel agencies and they said I need to go to HCMC to get a trip to Cambodia for a border run. I' getting so confused on what to do now.

bta87 I think the reason that you haven't got many response's is that most of the regulars that contribute to this site that are from Nha Trang all have VEC's like myself and cross border visa runs aren't needed. We just pop down to Immigration every three months and they put a new stamp in our passport. Don't mean to confuse the issue more, but my suggestion would be to get a VOA letter, fly from Nha Trang to Saigon then on to Singapore. Spend a day shopping then come back and get a new 3 month visa at the airport in Saigon that right now can be extended twice. Don't need a visa to go to Singapore, Cambodia you do. What the travel agents are telling you is true. All the buses that do the visa runs to PP or SV start in Saigon. You'll hear stories that you can get a 6 month or even a year visa in SV. You might want to be careful if you try and get anything more than a 3 month visa. The folks at the VN border crossing are famous for downgrading them to what ever they feel like, and yes they have the authority to do it. There was a story going around the blogs a few years ago when VN immigrations started tighting up visa's. Seems a guy got a one year visa in SV, came back to the border and they downgraded him to a 3 month single. Rather than get on the bus and head back to Saigon he decided to go back to the consulate in SV "to straighten everything out" they just canceled the whole visa with a big red stamp. He went to PP in a feeble attempt for another visa which of course he got a big no go. Long story short, he then flew to BKK went to the American Embassy, applied for a new passport got it back in a week, took it to the VN Embassy applied for a new visa. All they gave him was the standard one month tourist visa. Then flew back to VN, expensive lesson I'd say.

Forgive if I sound stupid, but some of the abbreviations are new to me. Does VEC mean you are married to a local national? Well this sounds like the most complete answer I've received. I assume I can go to one of the online visa firms and get another VOA letter, no? Is there a better, cheaper way to get the VOA? I sure appreciate your help and insight. We sure are liking it here. Just will take time to learn the ropes. This is my 61 country, so I adapt quickly. My wife, now that is another story. :)

bta87 I should have spelled it out VEC stands for Vietnam exception certificate. She's Viet-kieu, we both have them in our passports. As far as I know the only way to get a VOA is online, maybe some other the other folks here know another way but I think not. Don't get me wrong about PP. A lot of people have and will get the visa this way and have no problems, but for me if we didn't have VEC's the way I described would be the only way to go. Ridding buses for days at a time back and forth ain't my style.

Thanks. I'm w/ you. I am not keen on riding buses endlessly either. Indeed we fully plan to take a short pleasure trips each time we must renew. We are not poor, but I do need to learn the ropes so I don't get jammed up like the fella you spoke of. Sure do appreciate your help.

Budman,
  Is it advisable to purchase the Singapore airline ticket for a roundtrip, or will VN immigrations see a red flag? Whats your advice on that? We are going to take your advice on this.

bta87 No I don't think it would. Want to be safe? Buy a one way to Singapore, the a round trip on the return. Maybe somebody else has another thought on the subject. Been so long since I've been through the airport they were still fly props.

I work in Qatar so I fly a lot between Vietnam and there. I have never had a problem with immigration but I have been asked by the airlines several times for proof of onward travel. This is not a problem for me as all my flights originate in Qatar so I always have a return ticket to work.
Immigration has never asked for proof of onward travel though.

bta87 wrote:

Budman,
  Is it advisable to purchase the Singapore airline ticket for a roundtrip, or will VN immigrations see a red flag? Whats your advice on that? We are going to take your advice on this.

bta87,

For you a a one way ticket to Singapore wouldn't pose a problem. However, for you wife depending on where she is from might cause some problems when entering Singapore. About 6 months ago I flew to Singapore and Singapore immigrations pulled all the young girls out line and refused entry to most that did not have a RT ticket. In your situation they most likely wouldn't deny her entry but you might have the hassle of spending a few extra hours waiting around until they cleared it up.

Thanks for the heads up on the bride. I will make sure we take along our marriage certificate. She is an Americano also. Yes, I too was asked by airlines about RT ticket. This is the first thing on their check list. That is due to the fact if you are refused entry at the other end it is on them to flay you back. But if you tell them to check they will find that it is a visa on arrival country and ne return flight is needed. I asked the question because I thought perhaps VN would think I was gaming them on their tourist visa's. However, upon further reflection how would they know I had a RT ticket from VN to  Singapore? I am hoping VN will give me a B3 visa, don't know if this will make any difference. You folks have sure been a big help. Just trying to get use to all this which is new to me as it pertains to VN. Been in 61 countries and they all have their own quirks I guess.

If you are going to Singapore to obtain a new Vietnamese Visa and your wife has a US Passport, then a one way ticket would be the way to go. You never know how long it will take to get your new Visa. The VN government knows you are gaming the system, the neighborhood snitches are very effective, but as long as you are not a problem they tend to not really care.

It is my understanding that the visa application co. I am using would provide me with the required form to present to the immigrations folks at HCMC airport. Just as they did when I arrived on my C1 tourist visa this past month. The visa  co. sent this form to me via e-mail. This is under the Visa on arrival program I believe. Now some are telling me that a B3 business visa is the way to go in order to stay here long term and avoid so many border runs. Then I spoke to a fella who says he can show me how to stay here like he has for the last 5 years and never leave VN. Good gosh, I'm getting so confused I don't know which end is up. I suppose the upside is that my passport is off now, supposedly getting a visa extension. Am told I can get 2 extensions on this C1 tourist visa.  Sure hope this is correct as my current time expires on Sunday. Will have to make a mad dash for the airport if I've been duped.

If you are in NT have a look into:

alien consulting,

#10 Nguyễn Thiện Thuật Str.

There are commonly a variety of options available.

13ULLY,
   Thanks, I'll do that.