Volunteerism

In the States, volunteerism is a big thing and in this day/age of government cutbacks, it enables nonprofits/NGO's to continue their good work.

Are there nonprofits/NGO's in Riyadh?  Any of you volunteer your time to a worthy cause??

I'm surprized my self, but yest there are quiet a few NPO's in Saudi arabia and hence ofcourse Riyadh. (I work in one!)

volunteerism does exist, but I wouldn't say its a popular thing with the locals. what I mean the concept is freely practiced within smaller communities but is not comon in big cities like Riyadh.

but what made you think about that all of a sudden?

What made me think of it is that I have volunteered for  causes close to my heart in the USA--it's a good feeling as well as a good way to meet like-minded people.

I'd consider volunteering some of my time here if I found the right cause :)

Perhaps I could list some NPO's operating within Saudi Arabia and a Guide or even in this post. but I'd have to get that from the office. that means after the weekend.

how about that?

Sounds good!  And I do like the idea of including it in the guide for reference for others down the line :)

Lovely!! :) I'm interested too.

great idea, count me in... even with my creaking bones

mm, pul-leeze .. stop referring to yourself as being old! 

Don't you know that 60 is the new 40?!?  :)

of course I know, its a nice way of saying I am Gold....
will be 62 on 16

i meant 62 yrs YOUNG on 16

SALMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where's that list, dood? lol

I think DOOD means MILK in soime of the Greek that some people choose to speak in here?

ok ok I did not forget :P

but heres the thing, I asked the personal responsible to help me with the list, and as kind as he did.

only problem is that the link is to a website that has scaterd lists of Non Profit Organizations and volunteering sectors. in ARABIC!!

so not only do I have to collect the names from diferent locations and organize them, but also translate them, and I bet you know by now how darn lazy I am. I know, I hate me for it.

here is the link though:  Click me to go to an arabic website :P

Although I will try to do all the boring things I said I would, I would really appreciate it if anyone could "Volunteer" doing it for me :lol: .

Salman (the Lazy)

not me ...

Musicman you need to be real fluent to do it anyway, I doubt you could :D

but thanks for thinking about it ;)

by the way, hows it been for you lately? although I'm a bit late, happy many memories :)

Salman

Lazy lil' Salman!

I've got an idea to cut down a lot of the work.  Why not, instead of ALL the details, just translate the names of the nonprofits and what they do?  That way you won't be translating a ton of stuff that people won't be interested in, anyway.

As for me, my interests would be something having to do with children or animals or literacy.  However, it would have to be near to where I live.

exactly Salman, thats why I said NO
there was nothing to think, it was an absolute NO
thanks for the wishes
better late than never

y dont u guys use google translate instead of asking...

Google Translate is blocked by Saudi arabian internet authority...LOL

is that cos of the dirty words?

unfortunately ,,
still in the arab countries are not being so active in such fields ..

i saw some action happenin in FB , but dnt know if this works also for Expats

y dont u guys use google translate instead of asking...

Maybe because we all know how bad/inaccurate translators are?

welcome back puddy tat. nice to have the furry thing on the carpet once again. we had a great weeks stay in London from Mar 11-18. never rained a single day and the sun shone at least on 4 of them. Thats my luck...

Id be interested in that list too, if someone could put it together - I would be very interested in helping out a women's shelter.  Let me know if you know if any in the city!

I know that UN is implementing some programs in Saudi Arabia (for UNDP and UNESCO), and the official website has "volunteering" section... But I suspect that for that kind of work you may need Arabic, as you will have to help poor and needy... chances are they speak English???.. Also, they might be just taking Saudis. :(

So if are volunteering your self - UNESCO or any such organization will fit you accordingly .

Or Might be they arrange a basic training Arabic program .

Or Might be they arrange a basic training Arabic program .

Well, I've already imagined myself in a shelter for abused women... gather all my Arabic together, I might say "..maalesh, ya habibi.." :)))) Hmmm... this kind of social work needs more than basic Arabic, as you need to talk and comfort ppl. Thats IMHO. But really, I have never been in such shelter :|

That is a link to UNDP Volunteers in SA
http://www.undp.org.sa/sa/index.php?opt … 34&lang=en

Check out this site to help with animals:

http://www.openpaws.org/

Great site Allie!

Thanks, Betty :) 

Hard to find places to volunteer here in Saudia (pretty remarkable considering the volunteer opportunities in the States!)

zarvata wrote:

I know that UN is implementing some programs in Saudi Arabia (for UNDP and UNESCO), and the official website has "volunteering" section... But I suspect that for that kind of work you may need Arabic, as you will have to help poor and needy... chances are they speak English???.. Also, they might be just taking Saudis. :(

Hi Zarvata,

Can I ask what makes you say they would only take saudis? Is this a well know fact or a presumption as it would be such a shame if this is the case.

uglybetty
I said "might"... just because I cannot be 100% sure.
But for myself, I`m sure. I've came across some vacancies for UNDP, other social or governmental programmes. They required saudis ONLY. Foreigners don`t usually (again, I cannot say never) work at governmental posts.
And… These are my own assumptions.
1.    Saudis won`t let foreigners somewhere that exposes their society in a bad light. It is just shameful for a proud prosperous country. And they are right in a way. We are guests and we should not see underwear…
2.    Saudis won`t let us influence the social life, because they have different values that they preserve. Our views can be too different. In other words, they won`t let westerners change their world.

zarvata wrote:

uglybetty

1.    Saudis won`t let foreigners somewhere that exposes their society in a bad light. It is just shameful for a proud prosperous country. And they are right in a way. We are guests and we should not see underwear…

Thanks Zarvata,

I have to say, I dont really agree with the above as we are all people at the end of the day and they are not too proud to invite us there to work for them and improve their country bringing our knowledge and resourses. But as you say it is their choice, I just hope that people do not suffer as a result of 'pride'.

Salman Omrani wrote:

ok ok I did not forget :P

but heres the thing, I asked the personal responsible to help me with the list, and as kind as he did.

only problem is that the link is to a website that has scaterd lists of Non Profit Organizations and volunteering sectors. in ARABIC!!

so not only do I have to collect the names from diferent locations and organize them, but also translate them, and I bet you know by now how darn lazy I am. I know, I hate me for it.

here is the link though:  Click me to go to an arabic website :P

Although I will try to do all the boring things I said I would, I would really appreciate it if anyone could "Volunteer" doing it for me :lol: .

Salman (the Lazy)

----
here is the translated link
[moderated]

Its a good idea but it need sincere efforts and a bit of our time indeed! First, it might be better to decide the work which can be done as volunteer...In my little opinion (based on 1 month stay here), the poor workers, working in hot summer should be helped out. One day, I just asked from one of them..His earning was around 800 Riyals pm and all of them he had to send back to his family.And in the last 10 years he had twice visited his home country.
I think, they really really need our combined help! That might bring some pleasant feeling to their life.

And just to make it simple, we can open a bank account which can be in the name of Alliecat coz you gave this idea and everyone can deposit the money there. And out of that money, we can distribute it among the needy!

inampak
That is a one kind heart. My respect.

And now I figured out why I felt skeptical when I saw this topic.

Actually, KSA and other Islamic countries have something even better than volunteerism in its western meaning. Each business or individual is obliged by Islamic law to give a percentage of his profit to the poor and needy yearly. I don`t remember the actual figure, may be someone else does. But this exists and it works here. You can give some money to your doorman, to the woman or kid at the stoplight… options are really many. Why a bank account??... Or do you miss just an “organization”?

I remmeber when I was working in Riyadh we were the auditors for Human right assositain here you are its link nshr.org.sa/

It is in king Fahd Rooad

sorry if the website in arabic you can use online translation