Moving to Sto.Dgo!

Ok, so here it goes - my first post :)

I'm moving down to Santo Domingo from Sweden this summer, with my husband and our soon 6-month-old son. I'm Swedish/Argentine and my husband is Swedish/Dominican - both born and raised here but speak Swedish, Spanish and English. Sweden has always been too cold for us - in more ways than one!

We have a place to live and my husband has family there, we've known that we would move for several years but of course most of what we actually can do to prepare and organize has just started, and we are very excited!

I just wanted to introduce us and hope to meet some of you soon, and if you have any tips for us please share! Maybe what items that are best to bring from home etc...

saludos desde el país de los Vikingos

Hello JenniferL. :)

Hope you'll get some advices from other members soon.
Do not hesitate to ask your questions.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Welcome to the DR. Feel free to ask what ever you want here.

As to what to bring you can find just about anything you would need here in especially in Santo Domingo.

Bob K

Thanks Bob K - I'll soon post questions, really nice to have a forum like this!

Welcome!  My wife and I just moved from Vancouver, Canada to the Cabarete area and love it :-)
Enjoy the Forum and the DR!

Harleysrock thank you! I hear Cabarete is beautiful! It's one of the places we'll be looking at when we've moved - we would like a house in a few years and not in StoDgo :)

Oh sorry I was thinking about Cabrera - but I've heard Cabarete is beautiful too :)

Hi Jennifer,

My wife and I are planning to move to the Dominican Republic soon, with our 3-year old daughter and our 2-year old son.  We are American citizens.  We are fluent in English, French, and have working knowledge of Spanish.

I am a certified school teacher and an online university professor.

Unlike you, we do not have any established network, or family members there.  However, we plan to open a small clothing store.  Are you able to share with us a good location where we could rent a home, until we are ready to buy.  We hope to hear from you soon.

Saludos!!!

Manes Pierre

Manes Pierre, I hope someone can help you with your question. I don't know StoDgo so that I could give you any advice on this. Maybe start a new thread asking about a good location for your store? But I think you will be adviced to first visit and see for yourself, it's hard to know without knowing the city, what store you're opening and who you'll want to sell to. You would probably also want to speak more Spanish, and get used to the Dominican Spanish before you start a business there. Is there any way for you to come here for a longer period of time without having to work, so you can find a suitable area?

There is also a forum called DR1.com - have you joined? There's lots of info on there and if you cannot find what you're looking for you can start a thread there too.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I hope someone else will be. If you think I could help with anything else just send me a PM

/Jennifer

manespiere
Are you planning on moving to Santo Domingo?
Have you been to the DR before?
The link Jennifer was talking about is www.dr1.com

Bob K