Hello all :)

My name is William and I have just started to explore (via the net) a move/trip to Belize. I have a lot of questions but I will read the blogs and other people's posts before I start pestering anybody. I will have an income of about $2000 per month and I will be by myself.  I don't need an ocean view or fancy accommodations but top notch internet is a must (I stream sports,news and movies). I have been looking for a forum for about 2 weeks now and this one seems like the best.

Hi William

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I have moved your topic on the Belize forum for better visibility.

As you may know the term - 'High Speed Internet' is very much misused. Back when dial up was the usual, yet a 1MB download was high speed. I do work over the internet, and from what I can find thus far the speed of the internet we can get is going to be very painful. The fastest I could find was 4MB download, and 512kb upload.

2flyaway wrote:

As you may know the term - 'High Speed Internet' is very much misused. Back when dial up was the usual, yet a 1MB download was high speed. I do work over the internet, and from what I can find thus far the speed of the internet we can get is going to be very painful. The fastest I could find was 4MB download, and 512kb upload.

I believe BTL has recently doubled the speeds so that 8 Mb is now available (download only).

Here's some more info that might help:

http://ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthrea … t_Spe.html

Edited to add:  Yes, 8Mb is now available.  Right from the horse's mouth:  http://www.belizetelemedia.net/resident … s2.php#hsi

But you'll be paying a pretty penny...

satellite, remote systems are available, the Military and private corporations use them all the time @ 400,000kbps.

400,000kbps is just the foundation and although the equipment is initially expensive,it is out there, I am planning on bringing a VIOP system to many areas of Belize , this system will use A repeater system , the signal will come from a Main frame system, then be sent down the line to customers with the receivers. sounds difficult but not really.so we will see , I dont think the FCC has much pull in Belize , plus this transmission system wouldn't interfere with those communications.

Sounds Wonderful,

Initial cost???  sounds very expensive?  In my search for a home there I do want to be able to reach out and touch friends and family.  Do you have any idea of the initial cost?

Geri

I also am interested in this option.

A quick web search provided this link (for others that are interested).

http://www.oceannavigator.com/January-F … ng-at-sea/

when your working with a satellite signal you are not subject to the delays of a land line based system , so although 400,000kbps appears to be slower than 512,000kbps , ( Kbps , stands for- Kilobytes per second ) , and as far as the cost , it really isn't that expensive, go to Hughes.net , they are satellite providers for where I am in California ( Hughes Satellite ) , but I will also get information posted that might be helpful , Ive sent out a couple emails, so I should hear something soon. But we can make a collaborative effort, and hey who's to say this , couldn't be a business opportunity for someone...??? there is so much opportunity in helping the country of Belize establish their infrastructure, and who's to say that it is only achieved by the big corporations.anything is possible if you want it bad enough...

I am able to stream movies from Netflix, but other services, such as Hulu, are blocked here. You might need to look at a VPN service.