What is the chance of me landing a job in Bucharest ??? Honestly : )

Hi Folks

I was wanting to know the reality that I am faceing and what is the actual possibilty of me landing a job in Bucharest.
I will be traveling from Glasgow to Bucharest in March.
To be brutally honest There is no actual concrete reason why I have decided to come to Bucharest.
For me at the moment it is just another adventure, and a way to get involved with a new culture and a new people and a new way of life.
Previously before this I have lived and worked in The Republic of Ireland, Poland and Southern England for long spells.

I have no knowledge of the Romanian Language unfortunatly, But I would love to learn.
Having a very thick Glaswegian accent, I have seen this work in my favour getting jobs in certain countries and others strongly against it when liveing in other forign countrys.
Although I believe Romania wont have a Pre - Determined mindset, because they never heard it before.

My basic plan, if I have one ... :) Which I dont lol

Was living in a hostel (To begin with ) And going around the bars and pubs and handing in my CV and basically asking if there will be any work avalible.
Particulary The Irish Bars and British Pubs.
Although I would take any job there is Anywhere...
I would really like to make ago of things and take a shot at liveing in Romania. :)

But as I say, when I turn up in Romania I really dont know anyone or where I am actually going.

I know it sounds crazy and abit mad lol :)

But is there any advice you guys could give me or the possibility of me actually getting a job :)

And could someone tell me what you would actaully be expected to be paid for such bar work, on a Monthly Salary ???
I know it will be very low, this is not why I come.

Anyway .....
Thanks very Much for any Help

Chris :)

Hi Chris,

The problem with bar work is that the vast majority of the customers will be Romanian, even in the so-called Irish and English pubs (not sure why they call them English pubs, they rarely serve any ales, bitters or ciders). This means you probably would need at least some basic Romanian in order to work there. The salary would be low, probably about 800-1000 RON plus tips (if you're lucky).

Manual labour is similarly low-paid. An unskilled labourer might get something in the region of 50-70 RON per day. Skilled workers (plasterers, chippies, brickies, sparkies, etc) might get more and I've known some earn quite well when working freelance. Again, it would be hard without knowing the language.

There might be jobs in call centres perhaps, but as lots of Romanians speak excellent English, there seem to be more jobs going for people who know lesser-known languages.

What skills or qualifications do you have? What did you do for a living in Poland? Where have you worked before?

Cheers,
Mike