Safe reputable taxi drivers??

Hi everyone,
I'm moving to Ghana in a few weeks time, and hope to join various expat associations during the day when hubby is at work.  I was not planning on buying a car, but may borrow my husband's car on the odd occasion.  Is it safe for me to drive around the suburbs of Accra on my own? I was told the police are a bit iffy and could get pulled over for no reason?  I've also been told that there are some good taxi drivers, and also so really bad ones. How would I go about finding a reputable, reliable taxi driver?  Also, is it safe to walk the suburbs during daylight hours?

Ghana is a safe country, but you have to be careful whom you deal with. Trust your own instincts when dealing with people. There are many people out there that wouldn't physically harm you, but wouldn't mind taking advantage of you. Most taxi drivers overcharge, so always negotiate with them.An hour taxi charter is 25 Ghana Cedis, so use this amount as a tool to do your calculation for short trips. For the police, you dont have to worry much about them, because they do not bother drivers a lot these days. If you happen to live in an area that is pretty much busy, you dont have to worry about a thing go for your walk! Good luck on your trip to Ghana and enjoy your stay.

I will second what Ruskin says. When choosing a taxi look for one that is newer and then you will find the driver takes more care when driving. Always negotiate the price before you get in. I often ask the guy who works around the house to get one for me and he gets me the right price. Once you have made a few trips you will know the correct charge. I drive myself. I practiced on Sundays when the traffic is lighter and now can go more or less anywhere. I was stopped on a couple of occasions but as long as you have the correct license and your car has a fire extinguisher and warning triangle you will be OK.
Walking around during the day is no problem at all and even the nights are usually OK. Often it is not people who are a danger in Accra but open drains at the side of the road!
I am sure you will enjoy your time here and hope to meet up with you at the various groups.

Thank you Ruskin and hkann, you have been very helpful. I will go ahead and apply for my International Driving permit and take it from there. Looking forward to the challenges and new experiences in Ghana!
Regards