Fear grips São Paulo following recent wave of violence

A survey just published contains shocking figures which clearly demonstrate the intense fear that grips São Paulo, South America's largest metropolis.

91 percent of those interviewed feel unsafe in the city and 56 percent stated that they would leave the metropolitan area if they were given the opportunity.

It is not hard to understand why fully 41 percent of the population has stopped going out of their homes at night, chosing rather to remain behind the walls and barred windows that are a fact of daily life in São Paulo.

What is hard to understand is why nothing appears to being done about this grim situation. Rather than pushing ahead with substantive changes to Brazil's sadly outdated Penal Code of 1940, toughening penalties, facilitating arrests, making it more difficult for suspected criminals to remain on the streets the government has actually done the opposite. The Penal Process Code enacted last year established the universality of bail for all crimes which would result in a sentence of up to 4 years in prison on conviction. This in itself increases a sense of impunity and heightenes the feelings of insecurity.

Faced with such shocking figures the government of any other country would be taking immediate and decisive action to bring things back under control. Here in Brazil we do not see that happening. Given that our lawmakers and political leaders all have their own elaborate scheme of security there appears to be little in the way of political will to take on the problem and do anything to ensure security for the average citizen. If the same thing happened in any developed nation I am sure that the army would immediately be put into action to augment policing.

The general comment I hear time and time again from Brazilians is "Until somebody starts murdering the children and loved ones of Federal Deputies, noting will ever get done." Sadly, I'm kind of inclined to agree with them.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Yes William, I agree with you.

And about the drama at the Kiss bar in Rio Grande do Sul, I really hope that some will go to prison for the responsability (or general lack of responsability I should say...) they have in this tragedy.

Expired operating license, locked exit doors, apparently inefficient fire extinguisher (group members tried to use one with no success)...

And above the friends and families' loss of their loved ones, this situation is really a bad for Brazil's image on the verge of the big events coming to the country, like World Cup and Olympics... 

Émilie

There you go thinking like a Canadian again Emilie, you've really got to stop that girl! LOL

We've been spoiled by our lives in Canada and tend to expect that things should WORK. That's often very far from reality here in Brazil. The excessive bureaucracy and corruption encourage "informality" or "irregularity" here in Brazil. Heck, the don't even use the word "illegal" if you notice. They invented the "jeitinho brasileiro" for a very good reason, it is the only way to make things work.

Somebody, most likely the nightclub owner, will be made a scapegoat for all of this. Nobody who is REALLY responsible for the tragedy will ever be touched, sad to say. Read my second posting on the thread about the tragedy and you will understand better what I mean. Nobody in the city government, at the university or any of the governmental agencies that should have been doing their jobs; all of whom could have prevented such a tragedy will ever be held responsible and nothing will change.

It's truly sad.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

I know I know...not only Canadian, but Quebecer, we have a cabeza dura lol
Gonna take some time to wrap my head around it...

Hi Em,

Have fun, I still haven't been able to wrap my head around it in eleven years. Be patient, we'll get there yet! (I hope)

Cheers
James

Hi Friends, 

I lived with residence here from 1980 to 1991, and was in Brazil at least 8 months of every year until retuning to live here again in 2005. 

I suggest concentrating on all the good things that are here, and I am here by choice.  Yes, there are problems, but why should the electricity always work when it rains anyway?  There are problems everywhere, and much of the world's population would gladly change places with us. 

When we choose to think about things that are positive, we become more positive.  Choose to think about what is wrong, and you will be annoyed much of time you are in Brazil.  Choose to think about what you could make better, and you have a business!

Cheers, Douglas

Hi Douglas,

Of course, you are absolutely right, the good things here in Brazil by far outweigh the bad. We certainly do have to accept the bad with the good.

That does not mean that we cannot or should not form opinions or criticize in any way. I don't know who reads our forum postings and if it can affect the thinking of just one person who MIGHT be in some kind of position to make changes here then my words aren't written in vain.

Still hoping to get up your way sometime over the next few months for a get-together. Take care.

Cheers,
James