Possibly Retiring Early in Belize

Hi everyone!

My husband and I have just started the process of exploring the idea of moving out of the US. Things aren't the most pleasent here anymore and we are just worn out trying to figure out how we will survive retirement if we stay here. Hence, we are looking at two options. Belize and Costa Rica. Basically we would love to be near the beach. We need a two bedroom in hopes that our children will visit frequently. Is it possible to get a home or condo like that for $800 or less a month? Or am I just dreaming?

Yes you can, but you will have to stay away from the big tourist areas, like Ambergris Caye. You can find places like that near Hopkins and Placencia. One of the things that you should consider is the cost of flying into country. Flying into Belize is expensive compared to Costa Rica and the cost of living in CR is also less. The big advantage in Belize is that English is the language. Spanish is the language in Costa Rica and that will not be a problem if you speak the language or are able to learn it.

Let me add this: speaking as someone who has lived in many countries during the last 50 years, I would recommend a visit to Costa Rica and Belize before making up my mind. Both are wonderful places, but they each have their drawbacks. Another thing, do not buy a house, rent for at least 6 months. That way, if you get disenchanted with your locale, you can move, no harm, no foul.

Another country to consider is Panama. They have a large espat community there and the infrastructure (power, internet, etc.) is more solid than Belize. I was stationed in Panama as part of my government work and it is pretty nice. My brother lives in Costa Rica and he loves it! I chose Belize, but i tend to be the gypsy in the family, so who knows where I'll be in another year?

Basically, what I am saying is: keep your options open.

We checked out Costa Rica and Belize (Nov 2012) for moving to from Canada. Costa Rica in the central mountain area has a great temperature. Belize was hotter. We have decided on Belize. For us we see this as much better. You still need to travel to each to decide for yourself though. Here are our reasons:

1. Belize less crowded
2. Can go from point A to B faster in Belize
3. We are prairie people, so we didn't like the many mountain roads, and the land on mountain slopes in Costa Rica.
4. Costa Rica is far more developed. There is a lot of traffic. We don't want to be stuck in traffic. That is oh so North American.
5. Getting to the airport was faster in Belize where we bought property, than it would be in Costa Rica.
6. We liked the more rural feel of Belize.
7. 'They' say most people in Costa Rica speak English, but this was far from the fact on the ground.
8. Property was less expensive in Belize compared to Costa Rica.

Just some of our reasons.