Funny foreign electric plugs................

This might sound a bit of a worry but here goes anyway. Im replacing UK electrical appliance plugs with European type - should be a straight forward job. However Im not sure where to attach the earth wire(on an earthed plug).The only option I can see is to twist the wire under the head of the flat screw in the middle and tighten it down. This does seem rather retrograde to me and I dont like things that go bang. Ive had no problem re-wiring when there isnt an earth wire so Im not completely out of my depth.

The earthed plugs here make an earth connection through the two metal strips on either side ofand perpendicular to the alignment of the live/neutral pins. Many plugs don't have these anyway, but I'm assuming you're using the ones that do. If so, the screw in the middle usually connects the earth wire to these two strips, as you supposed. Pics are easier so:

Plug 1

or maybe:

Plug 2

Thanks very much for the plug info - I thought that must be the way (but kinda hoping it wasnt that crude!) No fireworks on Sibiu skyline tonight then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Robin

I've just rewired my house. You should have seen it. It's a big place and all the wiring (sockets, lights and extras) were all on one old fashioned screw in fuse and not even an earth rod! I ended up spliting it up onto 11 separate circuit breakers.

Where did you end up buying a place in the end? Actually in Sibiu itself or in one of the surrounding villages?

Haven't found a place yet. Rented a flat in Sibiu as a stopgap while we look for the right house. Will probably be in surrounding village to Sibiu as I need a workshop. Just found the bank foreclosure websites. Bad for the previous owners but hopeful for us. robin

I was originally thinking of buying a house in the Sibiu area. I quite fancied the look of a village called Rasinari. One of the things that appealed was that at the time there was a tram all the way to Sibiu which would be great if you didn't fancy driving. One site I was keeping an eye on was:

http://www.imobilgest.ro/imobiliare_all … e_all.html

In the end I bought a place in a village close to Sighisoara as I'm more familiar with the area, it's probably a slightly easier drive from Bucharest (and getting easier as they very slowly complete sections of the motorway), and not too far from the airport in Targu Mures which has flights to Luton. Fabulous countryside too plus as the village has UNESCO protected status, it should remain nice for some time.