District 7 living for a young couple

Hi all!

Ive just secured a job teaching Business Studies at an international school in District 7- start this August and very excited for the move!

I was just wondering what D7 is like to live in for young people- is there much to do? From research theres loads! Cinema/ sports clubs/ cafes and bars ect but all of the forums tend to say that D7 is more for older parents with children. Just wanted some advice! :)

Also- is D7 in walking distance to D1? i know its about 30 mins on a motorbike so say 1 1/2 h walk?

Is it better for me to live in D7 round the corner from the school or in D2 and comute? Is D2 more lively?

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated! :)

1. what D7 is like to live in for young people- is there much to do? From research theres loads! Cinema/ sports clubs/ cafes and bars ect but all of the forums tend to say that D7 is more for older parents with children.

2. Is D7 in walking distance to D1? i know its about 30 mins on a motorbike so say 1 1/2 h walk?

3. Is it better for me to live in D7 round the corner from the school or in D2 and commute? Is D2 more lively?

1. The forums are correct, tend to be higher income people. :Like a honey pot: no wheels and the local merchants over charge so you tend to get ripped. No real large supermarket on Phu My Hung - elsewhere in Quan 7.

2. Nearer 2H walking, there is a poor quality public transit - think as poor as rural service in UK. But, when they come, they are cheap. There is a shuttle bus that travels between PMH and Q1 - every so often.

3. Quan 2 is kilometres distant from Quan 7 - about a 40 minute drive.

sammybish wrote:

I was just wondering what D7 is like to live in for young people-is there much to do? From research theres loads! Cinema/ sports clubs/ cafes and bars ect but all of the forums tend to say that D7 is more for older parents with children. Just wanted some advice! :)

Also- is D7 in walking distance to D1? i know its about 30 mins on a motorbike so say 1 1/2 h walk?

Is it better for me to live in D7 round the corner from the school or in D2 and comute? Is D2 more lively?

It depends on your definition of "young". I'm relatively old, but still like to do "young" things. I live in D7/Phu My Hung area. There are cinemas and a few bars in D7, and I frequent them, but I have more fun by going to D1. D7 is a good place to live, young or old, but is not the end-all, be-all.

Don't plan on walking anywhere in D7, except for exercise. The distances are far enough that you would be sweating by the time you reach your destination on foot. My wife and I occasionally go out for walks, but if we are going somewhere, the motorbike is necessary. Also, there are small community buses (not city buses) that shuttle residents between D7 and D1 for less than $1 each way. Currently, Lotte Mart has a free bus which makes runs around D7 and to D1. My wife uses these options, and occasionally her bicycle, when I'm not available to chauffer her on the motorbike.

D2 is similar to D7 with regard to living conditions, but I think not as generally quiet and clean due to its proximity to the major Hanoi Highway. (I also lived in D2 for one year, so I'm qualified to make that statement.) I also don't think it's any more "lively", but there are probably more western ex-pats in D2 than D7. (D7 more Korean/other Asian). So I don't recommend living in D2 and commuting to D7, due to time/distance issues. If you have the opportunity to live within walking distance of your school (there are apartments in close proximity to most schools in D7), that would be ideal for you. I wish I could do that, instead of spending 3+ hours a day in the car to/from work!

Currently, Lotte Mart has a free bus which makes runs around D7 and to D1.

This bus only goes from Lotte Mart to Ben Thanh Bus (Quan 1) Station whereas the other shuttle goes from Phu My Hung, long Nguyen Van Linh to Quan 1

I agre about Quan 2 noise but even worse is the new traffic intersection that was obviously designed by an idiot. Buses, trucks and cars get to use the new overpass into town whereas motorcycles have to divert about a kilometre or two to cross the Ha Noi Highway.

They simply forgot/ignored motorcycles - as if often the case.

D7 is not designed for old people only. crescent Mall is more meant for the younger crowd to browse and shop. Phu My Hung has a cluster of bank branches and the Exhibition Centre is located here as well as Parkson Paragon Shopping Mall meant for the well heeled. It is sheer folly to think you can walk from D7 to D1, no one would do that. Chance it on an xe OM or on your salary, taxi will be close to 120,000. VND.
When more settled, you can buy a bike etc. also the side with SkyTower blocks is actually a mini Korean enclave and every amenity is well supplied.

Hi

Living in a place closer to your work location is very convenient fo you. It will make your life easier than battling traffic jams and  time before you reach your destination... Unless if its manageable to you, it wont matter at all.

Yes your right D7 offers many things like, fastfoods, restos, spas,salons, convienience stores, malls, cinemas, supermarkets, bars, coffeshops, bake shops etc...

Is it for older people/ parents with children? Yes, ideally D7 is a good place to live in (specially for families). We're young couple as well (with no children yet) who lives in D7  but i think it doesnt matter...whenever we wanted to go to D1 for leisure its easy. D1 is just 30 minutes away by motorbike and for taking a taxi will just costs you 120,000. D1 isnt a walking distance from D7 (not advisable). If youre looking for an adventure, wanted to get rid off the city, during your free time there are many travel tours to choose from in D1...

If you want convenience, then live in D7 :)

God bless!

WOW thanks for this! lots of info! really looking forward to the move & all of your posts are very helpful!

yeah I'm lucky enough to have  accommodation next to the school & $1 is extremely cheap to get in to D1! taxi is a good price  too at 120,000!

hope you all have a nice weekend!

As an expat, you will probably shop at supermarts. In Dist 7 , the usual ones are Giant Supermart and Citimart. The former is located in Crescent Mall and the latter has a few outlets scattered around the neighborhood. There is also the Korean Lotte Mart which offers a free shuttle service. Imported foods are more costly but there are local beef, pork and chicken. We stayed away from the seafoods so far.
There are heaps of coffee houses and cafes (Gloria Jean's, Trung Nguyen, Highland Coffee) and fast food is also abundant : aka Pizza Hut, Dominos Pizza, KFC, Lotteria (Korean burger joint). The latest kid on the block is famed Burger King, located along Nguyen Duc Canh , where your workplace may be.
If you need further info, you can PM me.

Yaaaay for Burger King! (my wife is VERY worried that I'll spend too much time with this "lady" when she's away. :D) And there's a Popeyes Fried Chicken "coming soon" just down the street. Too much temptation...

Here plans from the big guys

- Subway has announced the plan to open 10 shops in 2013,
- Burger King has had five stores by the end of 2012,
- Lotteria and KFC both strive to have 200 shops in the next years,
- Mc Donald, Starbucks and 7 - Eleven plan to enter Vietnam in 2013.
- New entrance: Takashimaya, Aeon, NTUC Fair Price, SC Vivo City, and Payless

Source: CBRE