Vietnam National Flag

Yesterday afternoon I noticed that the folks had put the flag up outside our house. Nothing unusual about that, they do it on all the holidays and special days in history all the time. We, like everybody have a flag pole out in front of the house and the guy comes along with a whole sackfull of flags and hangs them. What unusual this time was as I looked up and down the road they had only placed them at a few houses not everybodys. Can anybody guess why? I've lived here for many years and this is a first.

I have seen Foreigners hanging the flag - upside down! Even the British Embassy in Ha Noi did that.

Folks, it is the single point that should be uppermost! Some people get quite worked up if you don't take it down at dusk and up at dawn.

For those technically inclined: the red is Pantone 186C and the Gold is Pantone 116C. A proper flag has a ratio of 2 to 3.

Th ratio's of the flag is 15:15 for the length; 10:10 for height and the radius of the star is 6; it has 5 points. Now you can make a flag from scratch!

In this country it flies higher than any other nearby flag.

Budman
It certainly sounds strange what you describe. One would think that this year they would make a stronger effort to put the flags on everyone's house instead of a select few.

Elsewhere, the government is making a concerted effort to evoke pride in this miserable economy. War battles 40 years ago were celebrated with unusual pomp and circumstance a few days ago in all TV channels.

Only guess I would venture is that they are running out of budget to buy new flags in your area, so just plant the few left on the best looking houses :D.

A few years back, the ward police went by and asked me where my flag was.

Well, in Vietnamese, New Year is Tet Tay.  Which can be translated to French New Year.  So I told the guy, "I don't have a French flag.  Will another western flag do?" 

The Flag God has avoided me since.  So, I fly no color.

Maybe they give flags to paid up members of The Party? All those in good standing, which immediately rules out Wild_1.

That is right, Jaitch.  Old Number One over there got a flag for New Year...  And he wonders why the rest of us don't... 

Budman, "We're not worthy."  What are you gonna get for Anatta?

You expect too much

Wild_1 wrote:

That is right, Jaitch.  Old Number One over there got a flag for New Year...  And he wonders why the rest of us don't... 

Budman, "We're not worthy."  What are you gonna get for Anatta?

He can have that flag outside the house.

So what do I get in return? :unsure

Now, Anatta is expecting way too much!  How much more do you want, Amigo?  Such honor and prestige...  Just like Number One!

Heck, I am in a good mood today. My beloved team just got the Rose Bowl trophy, :joking:, so here is the deal I offer. I'll take Budman's flag if Howie in return takes the same flag and walks around in his neighborhood stores in Orange County (Bolsa avenue will do) with it for say, one hour. Deal?

Anatta,

Why don't you pass Budman's present on to your team and have them fly it at your celebration?  You guys really deserve it...

Anatta wrote:

Heck, I am in a good mood today. My beloved team just got the Rose Bowl trophy, :joking:, so here is the deal I offer. I'll take Budman's flag if Howie in return takes the same flag and walks around in his neighborhood stores in Orange County (Bolsa avenue will do) with it for say, one hour. Deal?

Hour?? He wouldn't last a minute.

Budman1 wrote:

Hour?? He wouldn't last a minute.

Oh, I just want to make sure that people have enough time to go back home to fetch the heaviest toys so they can welcome Howie back :top:.

You two are hilarious...  Trying to pass that on to me?

Budman, you were honored, man; and Anatta, your cadre presented you with the color!!! 

I have nothing to do with either one of you and the things that you do.  Just leave me and my Mickey Mouse Glory alone!

I found out the answer today and will PM you guys tomorrow. Don't want to put it out on a world wide fourm.