New to this....

Hello to all and Happy Holidays.  Came across this site and after reading a bit - seems as though this is much less "sell you something" type of place to post.  We are both in our mid fifties and are looking to retire in a place where we can relax and not be so concerned with keeping up with the neighbors.  At this time we are in the planning stage where we can come and spend about a month to get a true feeling for the country as a whole.  Looking at the Corazol area as we love the water (I know, we live in Nevada!  But we do have lots of sand....)and it is time to get somewhere warm.  As I write this - hubby is at work because it is SNOWING.  His theory is we need to live somewhere that they have never seen a snow blower!  Looking forward to responses from  all the great folks here - living the dream.

Hello Cruisin Camper.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you'll get some advices soon.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi! We have just begun our on-the-ground research in Belize, we arrived in Corozal 12/1...it's winter now so there are few folks out on/in the Bay, we have seen a couple of recreational boats but few swimmers. The water temperature right now is do-able, advise water shoes, nothing to see while snorkeling. You'll find sea walls all along the Bay, no beach-as we're accustomed to - water front parks have limited access to the Bay and there are some boat launch areas as well. Not sure what the spring/summer brings here with water related activities. I have some photos on my blog (via this website) www.belize-us.blogspot.com. If there's anything in particular you want me to check out--just let me know! Happy planning!

Sparks, we moved to Ambergris Caye at the end of May this year after around 8/9 years of seriously talking about retiring here.
We know that it is only 'early days' but we have no doubts whatsoever that we made the right decision.
The build of our house commenced nearly two months ago and we cannot wait for it to be finished so that we can truly believe that we are 'at home'.
Good luck to you with your research and planning.
Regards
John

http://www.abelizehomeforus.wordpress.com

babsumi wrote:

Hi! We have just begun our on-the-ground research in Belize, we arrived in Corozal 12/1...it's winter now so there are few folks out on/in the Bay, we have seen a couple of recreational boats but few swimmers. The water temperature right now is do-able, advise water shoes, nothing to see while snorkeling. You'll find sea walls all along the Bay, no beach-as we're accustomed to - water front parks have limited access to the Bay and there are some boat launch areas as well. Not sure what the spring/summer brings here with water related activities. I have some photos on my blog (via this website) www.belize-us.blogspot.com. If there's anything in particular you want me to check out--just let me know! Happy planning!

Thanks very much for the reply.  I have been avidly reading the blogs written by as many folks as I can.  They are great - I blog a bit myself, but it has been awhile and certainly not about moving to Belize!  I am soaking up as much info as I can.  Thanks again.
Laurie

Johnhenry1925 wrote:

Sparks, we moved to Ambergris Caye at the end of May this year after around 8/9 years of seriously talking about retiring here.
We know that it is only 'early days' but we have no doubts whatsoever that we made the right decision.
The build of our house commenced nearly two months ago and we cannot wait for it to be finished so that we can truly believe that we are 'at home'.
Good luck to you with your research and planning.
Regards
John

http://www.abelizehomeforus.wordpress.com

John,
Looking forward to reading what you have to say as well.  This site is great.  I have learned quite a bit already.  I was hesitant at first when my DH menntioned a move, but after all the reasearch the last few days (he was called into work because of the SNOW) it's looking better and better.  If I could leave tomorrow I would, but have many things to take care of before that can happen.  Will get to reading your stuff maybe tomorrow as it looks like it may snow overnight and if there is any accumulation, hubby will be called in..... Thanks again for the response,
Laurie