Is ANY license needed to drive a scooter in Thailand?

Hello, guys!

Does anyone knows whether we require to have ANY kind of license to drive a scooter in Thailand? Technically and practically?
I had earlier the Indian car only driving license, but never got to extend the expired one. And since i can drive the scooter without a problem i am thinking to rent it on my trip to Thailand. Does the same rule apply for all cities and beach places?

Thanks a lot for any practical advice!

Yes you need a driving licence. Strictly speaking you need an International Licence for a holiday if you intend driving. Thats both technically and practically ;-)

Lot of foreigners don't have a valid Drivers License when they visit Thailand. If you plan to do some driving on one of the Thai islands or in small villages I would say you should not worry. If you are planning to drive daily on main roads, highway's it's a wise idea to get one. Not only to escape from a 500 THB fine. It's also for your own protection in case of an accident. If you don't have any license in case of an accident you automaticly 'lost' the case.

Hope it helps! Drive safe :-)

FrisoPee wrote:

Lot of foreigners don't have a valid Drivers License when they visit Thailand. If you plan to do some driving on one of the Thai islands or in small villages I would say you should not worry. If you are planning to drive daily on main roads, highway's it's a wise idea to get one. Not only to escape from a 500 THB fine. It's also for your own protection in case of an accident. If you don't have any license in case of an accident you automaticly 'lost' the case.

I'm sorry to say that this is bad advice. No valid licence = no insurance. Anyone risking driving in those circumstances is frankly taking a huge risk. There are over 12,000 fatalities on Thai roads each year and thats just the government figures.

thetefldon wrote:
FrisoPee wrote:

I'm sorry to say that this is bad advice. No valid licence = no insurance. Anyone risking driving in those circumstances is frankly taking a huge risk. There are over 12,000 fatalities on Thai roads each year and thats just the government figures.

Don't get me wrong. Advising somebody to not drive with a license is always bad advice. But this is how things go here. It's true there is no insurance when driving without a license, but don't expect a rented bike is insured in anyway itself.

I know a lot of people (including myself) who have driven motorbikes without a license. This is not the best idea, but the reality how things go here. Then again: It's the posters choice to take the risk of this.

People can drive here without a license because it's fairly easy to rent a motorbike/car without one. Just be 110% aware of the fact that your are not insured in any way without a license, it's up to you if you want to take the risk..

If not, get an international drivers license or apply for a license here in Thailand. This is fairly easy if you have an valid license from your own country. The paperwork and procedure are not hard, but it can take up to a day to get it all ready. The license is valid for 1 year. After the 1ste year your can extend it to a 5-year license. Even if you have a tourist visa, this is possible (In Chiang Mai for sure)

Yes you need a thai licence . Many drive without it . its legal to rent without it however if you get stopped you will get a fine or something like that

Thanks, guys, a lot for your extensive valuable information! Especially to FrisoPee!:)About getting the Thai license - it didn't occur to me i could do that - just what i need!

yangzom wrote:

Thanks, guys, a lot for your extensive valuable information! Especially to FrisoPee!:)About getting the Thai license - it didn't occur to me i could do that - just what i need!

Your most welcome! Any more information about getting a license, just ask me. I happen to be in that same process right now.

FrisoPee wrote:
yangzom wrote:

Your most welcome! Any more information about getting a license, just ask me. I happen to be in that same process right now.

It would be just wonderful, if you could post few lines after getting the license reg.what was all the process about! Could you mention the documents involved, price for the service and the current location in Chiang Mai that you applied at? Thank you so much in advance!