Kids riding in Supermarket trollies?

Noticed this lots of times in all supermarkets.
Kids, some as old as 7 or 8, stood or sat in supermarket trollies pushed by their parents. Not only Mauritian kids but expat kids too.
My points are:
1. We put our food in these trollies - not very hygenic is it?
2. Safety aspect - these could quite easily tip up with disasterous consequences for the child.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Shouldnt the supermarkets advise parents this is not a good idea?Also seen kids standing on the conveyor belt where the food transits........another bad practice which should be discouraged.
Daisymay

"Not only Mauritian kids but expat kids too"

Really? What the difference between 'Mauritian kids' and 'Expat kids'?

Daisymay - I tell you frankly - I can't follow you on your principal complaint. I am not placing unpacked food in my trolley so I am definitely not concerned about any hygenic aspect in this context.

Security? Hmm - up to now I never heard about any drastic accident involving Supermarket trolleys yet - but I heard several times about even fatal accidents outside on the roads, not only from 'Mauritian Drivers' but as well from 'Expat Drivers'. Don't want to say anything about the driving style in general since I noticed it doesn't matter so much where the driver is originated from - there are good drivers and bad drivers from everywhere in the world and some really dangerous and respect less ones as well around.

My personal opinion is that the issue of pushing kids in supermarket trolleys doesn't really bother me - but I am really wondering what other's think about this issue of high importance.

Best regards

Michael

Sorry DaisyMay - I don't have an issue with it - There are more important matters on the Island than a few parents letting their kids go in their trolleys ;)

It is up to the supermarkets to make their ruling on this no matter what we think.

In the UK we have become Health and Safety concious crazy - window cleaners are now discouraged by high insurance premiums not to use ladders! and now use water machines that waste so much water - not environmentally friendly I might add.

I could go on and on......... ;)

You dont have any kids, dont you? I have two, small one, you have no idea how difficult can be shopping with them alone, i put them in the trolley and i dont feel bed about it, it help me keep my eye on them and move around the shop quickly, its just a metal trolley, dont fuss about it please. Thank you to all the others who understand this!

I agree its up to the supermarkets to tell parents.
As for riding trollies in the UK, kids are provided with special seats which attach to the trolley and dont actually sit in the trolley.
Re the safety aspect: I've seen big kids jumping up and down in the trolley - surely thats not safe?
As for me having kids or not - thats my business and not yours.
My point about Mauritian kids and expats kids was just that - its across the board.
Incidentally what made me post this was that I saw a parent changing a kids nappy in a trolley in Intermart yesterday at La Croisette - I suppose you all think thats OK too?
But I stand by my assertion - its dangerous and unhygienic.
Driving a car has nothing to do with it nor does window cleaning.
Daisymay

daisymay2 wrote:

I agree its up to the supermarkets to tell parents.
As for riding trollies in the UK, kids are provided with special seats which attach to the trolley and dont actually sit in the trolley.
Re the safety aspect: I've seen big kids jumping up and down in the trolley - surely thats not safe?
As for me having kids or not - thats my business and not yours.
My point about Mauritian kids and expats kids was just that - its across the board.
Incidentally what made me post this was that I saw a parent changing a kids nappy in a trolley in Intermart yesterday at La Croisette - I suppose you all think thats OK too?
But I stand by my assertion - its dangerous and unhygienic.
Driving a car has nothing to do with it nor does window cleaning.
Daisymay

Hi,
I know window cleaning has nothing to do with it - I was just using it as an example of how ridiculous our Health & Safety laws have become in the UK ;)

What we have to remember while we are living here in this friendly paradise Island is that it is NOT England and things are done differently and attitudes differ from ours - so what we may think is OK in the UK, Mauritians may frown upon and visa versa.

May I suggest that if the trolley situation bothers you, place some cardboard boxes directly into your trolley - always available at the checkouts and place your food directly into them :)

Of course its not my business, i dont even know you. But I do know that if you have two small children and need to do shopping with them by yourself, you would put them into the trolley too, after 10min trying hold their both hands and the basket at the same time, watch them to do not touch anything or run around the shop you would do the same,mums are just a human being and we do what we need to do to survive:) thats why i assumed you do not have children. You shouldn't  get upset about something you cant change, but you can adjust, like Rosiewestie said, you can put carton box on the bottom of your trolley.I hate when people touching bread rolls with bare hands to choose which one they like the most, they should use plastic bag for it, but i wont get upset about it cos i cant change it, i will just take the bread roll from the bottom hoping that none touch it before me with dirty hands.                       PS: changing baby nappy in the trolley is bad, there are toilets for it.

wjwoodward wrote:

I think ALL supermarkets should be forced to install giant autoclaves and sterilize all shopping carts between customers, this would eliminate any hazards... you never know what kind of nasty micro-organisms might be lurking there.

Just LOL !!!!! :lol:

And mega giant sterilisers for bus, trams and airplanes too. You never know, do you?

Hello all.

To note that some off topic posts have been moved.
If you have any problem, kindly Contact Us.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Closed