True Weather in Vancouver

Hey All,

I read about the weather in Vancouver and it tells me that it actually doesnt get as cold as the north eastern part of the country or even East Coast of USA (Boston-Maine)

Is that true? No wind chill factor? Not a ton of snow? Doesnt rain all the time?  and Vancouver has no mosquitos?

Is all this accurate?

My husband is a software engineer and my grandfather was born in Canada...so we are strongly considering leaving the US for Vancouver...Europe isn't doing as well as we would have hoped.

I would love some real time opinions about the weather!

Thank you

Hi Boston Mama,

Having lived in Vancouver for 28 years before I came to Brazil in 2002 I can tell you that it is without a doubt the best place to live in Canada for many different reasons. The weather is simply one of them.

Yes, it's true that it is much more moderate a climate than in Eastern and Central Canada, so much so that many street people from all over Canada migrate to Vancouver every year to escape the cold winters. While it sometimes snows in Vancouver it rarely lasts on the ground for any length of time. Certainly there are no blizzards and deep snow drifts ever seen like you have every year in the Eastern US or Eastern Canada. Rain.... well that's a whole different story. It rains a lot in British Columbia, fortunately generally more a fine rain or drizzle. We have a saying that Vancouverites don't tan, they rust.

There is a downside to all of this... Vancouver is the most expensive city to live in anywhere in Canada. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police had such trouble getting members to stay there that they had to start paying a premium to officers to live in Vancouver and the surrounding cities.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Thanks William,

we are still seriously considering Vancouver. Now to narrow down location and schools!

Happy New Year!