How do you learn to appreciate the differences?

Lets talk about culture..

different ways of looking at things..Different ways of expressing personality. I am not racist but I just want to know how do you handle if You fall in love with someone of different culture, race and faith.

I believe that a good relationship needs communication..what if you have language barrier? What if he doesn't tell you how much he hates the food that you like? He brags a lot about..he came in a first world country and he thinks that they are far better than you..How do you accept different social norms? etc etc

Can we really accept differences?

Yes, we can...
If your love is big enough, you can get over any differences.
Anyway, thats also up to the person.
We can discuss more when u get VN :D

I think you are right!! :) If you really love each other, you will respect the culture gap.. :) I admire those people who can really appreciate differences.:)

Parissgarcia,

It is imperative that you distinguish infatuation from love.  The former is being fascinated with a person's different qualities--physical and mental, while the later is total acceptance.  With infatuation, the person will stop being attractive when his qualities start to violate those of your own.  On the other hand, with love, you become more attracted to that chosen-one because you want to see life through his lense as well, if not even more.

Therefore, love can enable people to overcome their cultural differences.  Another thing that I want to add is that life is more exciting, more fulfilling, when one can learn to love others for what they are.  Imagine, if you can accept your friend and learn why he keeps talking about his 1st world experiences or backgrounds, you will not see that as bragging, but another form of sharing; and you will open yourself up to another set of thinkings and behaviors.

Singapore is a melting pot in and of itself.  I am surprised that you are still caught up in this age old cutural dilemma.  However you choose to go about, just keep this in mind that, regardless of color or creed, we all bleed the same way.  Behind all of those barriers that cultures had bestowed upon us, we are all human beings, with the same senses and the exact feelings.

Hope this helps,
Howie

Hi Howie :)

I couldn't agree with you more. Let me share something..I found love when I wasn't looking for it,..from the last place on earth I had  thought of finding it, and with someone..I never dreamed I'd find it with... a foreigner. Of course, love didn't happen right then and there but the connection was instant and very strong. I had only met him and yet it felt as though I had known him all my life.It was as if I am created for him and we were two souls fated to meet.Race has never been an issue and never will be an issue for me.In fact I was enjoying discovering differences and similarities.. But what went wrong? Our relationship didn't survive. :( He was a wonderful, passionate man and he made me laugh but we were polar opposites in terms of politics, religion,  among other matters. Our issues were really impossible to work out because neither of us believed we were doing anything wrong.And it makes me so sad.:(
Howie, I am blown away by your instant response :) It really helped me out, and I appreciate all of the time you took to write it. See you soon.