Any advice on navigating shared accommodation?

i'm currently interviewing for a role which includes single status shared accommodation in the offer. i've lived on my own since i was 19 and do not like the idea of sharing, but if that's what it takes so be it.

what i get a little paranoid about is this: i'm disciplined and obey the law; i also don't drink or do drugs, nor do i want to "hook-up" with anyone, so i'm a little concerned i may get paired with a nightmare of a roommate who could enjoy such extra-curricular hobbies.

am i just being a nob or is this a valid concern given the strict laws in ksa?

i mean no offence to anyone who does partake either. i just like minding my own business and focusing on my own interests.

any suggestions, insights or personal experiences would be appreciated.

cheers,

I'd been in KSA for a week in a 2 bedroom apt. when I was assigned a roommate.  Like you, I'd been on my own for years but I was very optimistic about having this new friend with whom to explore and experience this new place.

Unfortunately it turned out to be a nightmare.  She didn't do drugs or drink, but was incredibly moody, self-centered, made bizarre accusations and tried to order me around regarding the apt. I wanted to get plants--she objected. I suggested getting some posters or whatever for the bare walls, she said she liked the bare walls.

She was the queen of passive-aggressive behavior.  She either wouldn't speak (not even good morning) or when she did, would change the simplest, most general conversation into long tales of her sad life and how everybody from her parents to her ex-husbands had abused and taken advantage of her (after this, I almost appreciated the silent treatment lol).

I came to the conclusion she had mental issues and became a bit concerned about sleeping at night (no locks on the doors)!

Anyway, after a LOT of persistent pressure on HR (word of advice:  people in HR often aren't real helpful  since it would entail actually working), I finally got moved to a one bedroom.

NOW.. that said, my experience wasn't good but I know people who teamed up with absolutely no problem.  But those cases seem to be where people  have gotten to know each other first and decide to room together before they are thrown together with a stranger.

Anyway, maybe you'll get lucky!  But the one thing I would strongly suggest is setting up ground rules to begin with and sticking with them.  AND, if you're the first one in the apt., set it up the way you like (plants, wall hangings, etc.) before the roomie arives lol 

Best of luck!

i had nightmares nad awesome times.

In jeddah i was paired with a dude as old as my dad and an idiot.  then i was paired with someone my age with similar interests.  Its a hit and miss

thanks FLS & Alley cat,

so my instincts aren't that far off. i'll keep your suggestions in mind (ground rules being the essence; and the no locks business was a fear of mine). i would prefer a roommate who didn't talk :) but i'll simply have to take it as it comes :)

hope you're both enjoying a day off.

cheers,

Freshlikesushi wrote:

i had nightmares nad awesome times.

In jeddah i was paired with a dude as old as my dad and an idiot.  then i was paired with someone my age with similar interests.  Its a hit and miss