Ho Chi Min in february 5th to 8th (Should I stay longer for TET?)

Hi travelers, I'm travelling north to south Vietnam over 10 days and noticed they start their New Years day falls on the 10th just after I am supposed to leave. 

Ho Chi Min is the last city we are in (5th to the 8th).  Is there much in terms of pre-TET celebrations from the 5th?  Do they celebrate the night before (9th) in any way? 

Is it worth paying a bit extra to stay another 2 nights and experience New Years Eve and New Years Day celebrations and then go home that night?  Any information appreciated.

Cheers

Frog

Locals don't get me wrong on this response. Frog, Tets a great time of year here however it's family time, not like what you expect in the western world. Yes they have fireworks the night before but I would say in less your hooked up with some of the locals or staying in a 4 or 5 star hotel that has scheduled entertainment you might save the bucks and go home as scheduled. They do of a few tourist type things going on but there mostly geared towards the Vietnamese population. Try again 5 or 10 years from now it will be a complete different story.

Budman1 wrote:

Locals don't get me wrong on this response. Frog, Tets a great time of year here however it's family time, not like what you expect in the western world. Yes they have fireworks the night before but I would say in less your hooked up with some of the locals or staying in a 4 or 5 star hotel that has scheduled entertainment you might save the bucks and go home as scheduled. They do of a few tourist type things going on but there mostly geared towards the Vietnamese population. Try again 5 or 10 years from now it will be a complete different story.

I totally agree to this... :)

So when does Tet officially begin? And end? And also in terms of people going home to their hometowns etc, I've heard the city gets pretty dead?

http://www.vietnamonline.com/tet.html