LPP- Do we have to be in the same country to apply for it?

Hi,

Has anyone applied for a Life Partner Permit outside of South Africa, without their South African partner being present?
My fiancee is British and in England at the moment. After reading and hearing the long time it takes when applying from within South Africa, we want to apply for it in England? Does anyone know if this is possible?
Every Home Affairs official tell me a different story. And the embassy in London tells him to look it up on the internet.
Any advise would be much appreciated!

Karien

Hmm, Im really not sure, when I applied for it here in S.A. my BF had to come with me to the H.A. ones.
I think I would just contact the consulate in England and apply, then see what happens.

It is really frustrating never being able to get a straight answer.
Good luck to you.

Regards
Sarah

Hi Karien

You would both need to be resident in the same country at time of application, as you need to prove co-habitation and shared financial responsibility. You are able to apply for a relative's permit on the basis of being in a life partner relationship, at most consulates around the globe.

I know it seems strange, but even people who are engaged but live apart for religious reasons technically don't qualify.

So, somehow, you have to prove that you live together. There are many ways to achieve this.