An organized approach towards improving quality in Hurghada

All of us, as expats, know how beautiful and attractive this area could be.
But, on the other hand, many of us in particular those who travelled and worked in "Tourists Attraction Countries" know very well that quality levels in general has dropped dramatically in Hurghada.

As we all know, All expats have an interest in having more tourists coming to Hurghada and the surrounding areas.  To encourage more tourist to come to Hurghada, we need to work closely with local authorities.  We can provide an organized and systematic free of charge consultancy service to local government and other civil institutions in many tourism related areas.

To be able to provide such consultancy in such a fashion, we need to formally represent ourselves to local authorities.

My proposal is to form an elected committee to represent expats in Hurghada ( and areas around it). 

Any feedback on the idea in general and the process to apply it would be appreciated.

Thanks you all.

Ahmad Ibrahim
Makadi

Hello Ahmad Ibrahim.

So as to make it more visible, your post has been moved to the Hurghada forum. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Salam alaykum Ahmad,

You are perfectly right. These are is totally mismanaged by local government. 5 stars hotel are not even worthy 3 stars, in terms of services and catering. The marina /coast has been ruined basically in terms of landscape, as it has been leased to hotel, with the result that instead of walking near the sea like in any other seaside locations in the world (see spain, italy , greece) you walk instead amongst cement, and construction sites.  Everything is artificial instead of being natural,

You have the landscape, why must you not exploit it? Sharm el Shaikh has managed much better than hurghada, and Safaga, which is just the result of greedy local gov leasing land without thinking of the urban development of the town and coast.

They can claim they constructed a new marina, but in the end it is an artificial port, with bad food quality and high prices. There is nothing typical, and this is why is basically empty, except for the restaurant l'imperatore.

The marina is surrounded by chaos and construction. Road are unfinished and dirty. There is no regulation on taxi fares, no regulation on shops. As a tourist one feels is not welcome and everybody try to rip you off.

My mum and her husb came to visit me in September hand they booked a 5 stars hotel in Hurghada.
It was the worse holiday of their lives and they think not to return to Hurghada ever, despite they had plan to actually relocate there.

What it shocked them was the behaviour of the hotel staff and the lies they were told on regular basis. they were constantly bakcmailed by taxi drivers to be left in the street in the middle of the night, after dining out, unless they would pay 50 EGP instead of the regular 20.

I mean, what kind of tourist city is this? They make tourists escape. there are no real attractions, festivals like you find in Dubai, that despite not having any natural attraction is able to attract and impress tourists.

Apart from the infrastructural work the gov needs to take care off, what is really needed is awareness amongst common citizens and hotel staff.

They won't get more cutovers by being rude, arrogant, dishonest or pushy.
They also need lot, lot, lot of training. they have very little sense about customer care and it is all about them felling to be the big banana.

May God guide them.

Amin

i dont know much about the regulations but i feel hurghada is a young city and just a little beach town. its not supposed to be like dubai. more than for tourist attractions i think its for diving mostly. the people who come here for dive trips benefit the most.

Nobody is proposing to make it like Dubai, I referred to Dubai in terms of festivals and activities are organised for tourists. Dubai is principally an artificial attraction, but it has been mention as it seems they got the right recipe to attract foreign tourists while still maintaining local customs  without making headlines, islamists here islamists there. Sure they have their own faults as well.

If you read the post carefully, it exactly says about the fact that the natural landscape has been ruined by an irresponsible development of the town (the area where all hotel have been built stretching from eplanda mall towards magawish.

As result, you cannot even walk by the sea, on a 'natural marina'. you are surrounded by souvenir shops and hotels, and this is not how the seaside is organised in the rest of the world.

IF you want to dive you really have to go to soma Bay, Safag al Qusair. The water in hurghada is so shallow it does not reach the knees, despite knowing that they build hotels there anyway.
all tourists complain about it.

Things seem constructed without the customer in mind. The interests of developers seem coming first, but the tourism industry will pay the price after all.

Read the post on trip advisor about Hurghada. Some tourists had such a bad experience, that they say they won't come back, some they advise to avoid hurghada completely. And they are referring to its standard and people's behaviour.

Hurghada could be a prima tourist destination worlwide, but people wh are managing it, transformed into a 3rd class holiday destination.

Big spenders will not come to Hurghada. Despite having jeddah at a few hours by bout, they are not able to attract the real customers, because the standards are not high enough.