Teaching in Saigon with no Celta or equivalent, but with a PhD

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about relocating to Vietnam or Cambodia.  I spent a couple of weeks in Saigon and really loved it.

I am a white native speaker from the US with a PhD in Philosophy and eight years teaching experience at the College/University level. 

What kind of English Teaching job do you think I am likely to land without a Celta, etc.?

Thanks!

--Erik

You should be in line for a position at a VN uni without many difficulties.

Bring your diplomas, letters of reference, etc.

Check your PM.

The higher end places like RMIT, British council etc, will still want a Celta or Tesol qualification. they see it as  atransitional certification. I'd personally say bite the bullet and go do the course, it's only 4 weeks and will pay for itself with your experience to back it.

there are courses in HCMC...much cheaper than the US I'd say.

I totally agree.

Erik,

I also agree with Laidbackfreak:  you ought to get the certificate if teaching English is what you want to do.  Why sell yourself short that way, the thing only takes a few weeks and about a thousand big ones?

Good luck,
Howie

This TESOL lasts one week and costs $500.  It does have a practicum/observ3d teaching, which is what most schools look for in a certificate: 

http://talent.edu.vn/Chung-chi-nghiep-v … an-quoc-te

TEFL International, in HCMC,is about $1400 and lasts a month. Ịt is the superior program, IMHO, for a variety of reasons.  The main one being thst it prepares a teacher in a logical manner.  They don't throw you into a class on the second day, like the CELTA program.

The CELTA is about $1600 and carries the weight of thẻ Cambridge brand/hype.  If you were to choose to pursue a CELTA, don't go to Apollo.  The head trainer there is a disheveled mess, as is  his program.

You'd be ok with a Phd, but you probably should get a teaching certificate.  Feel free to PM me if you'd like some teacher training materials that would give you an idea of what the courses consist of.