Couple considering moving to Luanda

Hi there

My fiance and I are seriously considering a move to Luanda with his job in the next few months and in view of this I have a few questions which I'd be grateful if anyone who lives there/ has lived there recently could answer:

I understand most expat families live in Luanda Sul and with that comes a great community but it would mean a 2 hour commute to central Luanda.  Do any couples/ small families live in a good central apartment?)
- Where would be best for a Couple (no children yet) to live?
- What are the Pros/ Cons for the different areas (i.e. safety/ quality of housing/ cost/ commuting/ recreational activities etc)?
- How reliable are the generators as I've heard a lot about power cuts?

Food Shopping and Eating Out
I know that it is the 1st/2nd most expensive City in the world and have read extensively on this, however would also like to know the following:
- Are there a range of good restaurants (local and international food) to eat at?
- How often do people typically eat out given the cost?

Activities and Entertainment
From what I have read there is scuba diving, surfing, yoga, tennis, running clubs, wildlife, camping.
- What do people do if living centrally? i.e. Cinema/ Clothes Shopping/ Bars (I hear is also very expensive).

Many thanks in advance!

Hello Sabree.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

In meantime, do not hesitate to go through the other threads on the Luanda forum.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi Sabree,

A few things.

2hr commute is when there is gridlock during peak hour, presidential movement or when it rains. Also depends on where you are coming from and going to. For example, Belas shopping center  to the Marginal takes approx 45 minutes during the day. But gridlock can happen anytime.

Grid Power is very unreliable and goes off numerous times every day. Our apartment stayed on a geni for days at a time sometimes. Brownouts are also common as are surges. UPS's are your friends to the tech gear.

I'll leave the best areas to those living in LS. There are so many new residential options being built the market changes quickly.

Good restaurants? Well there are restaurants..people do eat out quite often mainly for the social side of things. If you want good food - take a flight out.

For the list of activities - yes there are those things, but only just. Each one has it's own set of local issues. Don't expect world class standards.

There is only one Cinema complex and that is at Belas Shopping Centre. The films are computer projected files at ear piecing volumes with people talking on mobile phones during the films.  Take your ear plugs. You should have plenty of plugs anyway as the locals love to party - loud - all night till sunrise. Any night, any where including the middle of residential compounds and apartment blocks.

Clothes shopping - forget. Again a plane is your friend.

Few bars around. Best left for those who frequent them to offer advice.

Luanda is an experience. Enjoy the trip but be on the lookout for signs that it is time to leave. Don't stay too long, the damage can be long lasting......

GG

Sabree wrote:

Hi there

I know that it is the 1st/2nd most expensive City in the world and have read extensively on this

What? you gotta be kidding me. Try to spend a month in Tokyo, Japan.