Moving to Malta non EU citizen

Hello,

Im planning t move to Malta soon. I have a passport form Uruguay. I have a company here in uruguay and I also have stores online from where I make most of my income.

I wonder many things, can I open a company there to have self employment and keep working in the same thing as I already work?

Can I buy a car and rent an apartment?

How will be the process to live there in a regular basis?

I will appreciate your advices,

Thanks

Hi urban,

welcome to the forum.

We just had a similar question about self-employment for third-country nationals.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=203955

You should also read through previous posts about residency in Malta and working in Malta for non-EU citizens.

Buying a car and renting an appartment when you are here are quite straightforward.

Feel free to ask any questions left.

Cheers
Ricky

Thank you for your answer :)

What do you mean  with "Buying a car and renting an appartment when you are here are quite straightforward"

this means I will be able to do it? yes?

I read the link you gave me.

So I guess I can try to move the representation of my company there and plus make a business plan to hire 3 EEA/Swiss/Maltese nationals within eighteen months of establishment. sounds like it is not easy..

I have some more questions, my husband has an italian passport, i know i can have an italian passport for me if I go to italy and make some diligence/papers there. like in within 7 months I will have one.

IF I have the italian passport,

1. would be easier for me to open a company for self employment? or will be the same as a third country?

2. would be easier to apply for a residence permission in Malta? would be easier to remain living there after 3 months?

Looking forward for your answer.

Thanks!

Vero

Hey Urban,

Welcome here ....with regards to your questions I have answered in RED

What do you mean  with "Buying a car and renting an appartment when you are here are quite straightforward"

this means I will be able to do it? yes?

Yes you will be able to Buy a car and rent an apartment, you will probrably have to put down a deposit for the apartment and its normal to pay a monthly fee up front for Electric and Water

I have some more questions, my husband has an italian passport, i know i can have an italian passport for me if I go to italy and make some diligence/papers there. like in within 7 months I will have one.

IF I have the italian passport,

1. would be easier for me to open a company for self employment? or will be the same as a third country?
As an EU National things would be easier.

2. would be easier to apply for a residence permission in Malta? would be easier to remain living there after 3 months?
[color=#FA0409]Things would be a lot easier. The paperwork for residency would be a lot simpler, also if your husband is working you would be able to get the residency as his spouse.  To live here over the 3 months you would officially need the residency Permit....

Julian

Hi vero,

yes, having an Italian passport would change everything! But even if your husband is Italian then things will be much easier for you.

AS soon as he applies for and gets residency in Malta you will be granted the same rights as an EU citizen and as such you can be self-employed ( as long as your husband is coming to live in Malta as well)

As a non EU citizen  it will be difficult, as you say.

You can always rent an appartment in Malta even if you are not resident. You just pay the fees (agent,safety deposit), sign the rental contract and move in. Same goes for buying a car and getting insurance.

Cheers
Ricky

Exactly like Ricky says :)

Thank you Ricky and Julian for your replies. I read the link.

What will be the process for him to apply residence there? does he has to apply as soon as he enters the country or wait the 3 months?

but what if he is not going to live there? do I have any chance to make some kind of paper or something like that foe me? perhaps he can open a company there and hire me and I take care of business?

I mean eventually we are going to divorce, we are still married, good friends, but no desire of still be married and living as couple, but we are still legally married..

Perhaps I should apply for my own papers in italy first and then do things right for my own with an EU passport in Malta? just a thought.

Another thing, if I get a job permission (a friend who has a company in Malta hires me) will I get a residence permission? can I make this permission permanent eventually?

Thanks a lot!!!

Vero

Hi Vero,

if you are not travelling to Malta and intending to live with your husband in Malta you will be treated as a non-EU citizen as any rights are based on your husbands EU rights and not yours.

You will probably be best off to wait until you have an Italian passport.

If your friend in Malta hires you and you receive a work permit (can take quite long and is not guaranteed- it depends on the circumstances like job offer and your qualifications) you will be granted residency for as long as you have a work permit.

After being resident in Malta for more than 5 years you can apply for permanent residency. Until then it will be ordinary residency. Normally work permits are only extended for 3 times so non-EU citizens are forced to leave before reaching 5 years residency.

So your best and easiest bet is to get the Italian passport.

Thank you Ricky, you are very nice for taking the time to answer my questions.

I read in some other thread that you girlfriend applied for a self employment permission and she did not get one, is this correct? how did she managed to stay in Malta then?

What happens if one remains more than 3 months in the country?

in this case (leaving after 3 months) should I leave Malta or the EU?

If I enter to the EU from, lets say Germany, how Malta gob will know if Im  staying there or in another country?

this is a bit confusing, lets say I enter the EU in Frankfurt and then I stay 2 months in Germany,  then I go to Malta, can I stay 3 months in Malta? (total 5 months in the EU) or only one month I can stay until I have completed 3 months in the EU?

If I can not stay more than the 3 months in the EU, can I leave to Swiss and then enter again?

sorry for the tons of questions..

:o

Vero

Hi Vero,

i fought for my right as a EU citizen to choose my partner even not being married and applied for her as a family member and won ! So she has the same rights as I do and is treated as a EU - citizen and can be resident in Malta with me  and work without requiring a work permit. It is the same situation as it would be if you come to Malta with your husband and become residents. But it was not easy.

If you were to stay longer than 3 months in Malta as a non-EU citizen you would be overstaying. You could not apply for residency or a work permit and if you were to get caught you could be blacklisted and not allowed to enter the Schengen area for 5 years.It does not matter from where you enter the Schengen area as your first entry country gives you the visa stamp ( being from Uruguay you can enter the Schengen area and receive your tourist visa at the border) that allows you to stay and travel within the Schengen area for 3 months out of every 6 months.

That means that after a total of 3 months stay in the Schengen area you will have to leave and wait 3 months before you can re-enter. Of course you can try and travel to a non-Schengen country and return and might be lucky but the chances are that your re-entry could be denied. When you apply for residency or a work permit they also look at every page in your passport and check the visas to find a reason to reject your application.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks Ricky, I sent you a private message, Im not sure if i send it right, hope you received it.
Thanks

Hey :), Im back here Ricky perhaps this thread can help more people in the future, so Im back to the threads lol :)

I have been reading the links you gave me in previous answers an doing some research, now I think my best chance is to try to open/move the company that I have in my country ( uruguay ) to Malta, My company has more than 3 years old here. So I wonder, where do I need to go? what Do i need to do? who do I have to ask?

Thanks a bunch!
Vero

I now see why Ricky is so knowledgeable on this subject :) and hopefully he returns to the page to provide more information in reference to your last question but if not, I think you probably need to visit the ETC ( Employment Training Center ) to register a business.

A little extra details or debate about something nobody wrote above is that I believe a person, like your Husband, could file papers to reside in Malta but work abroad - meaning this gives you the right to remain if he gets approved and he can still run about in Italy, Uruguay, Germany, etc ?????? The process will eventually require some kind of appearances from him I ASSUME for interviewing or whatever they require during the intial phase ?????????

Hi ProChef,

I'm back in Sliema now -))) Sadly the weather was better in Germany and much less humid.....

There are some personal issues that make the situation a bit more difficult and make what you suggest appears sub-optimal but they don't have to be discussed on the public forum.

Otherwise what you suggest is probably do-able -))

To register a business you should definitly get the advice from an appropriate lawyer. The ETC would not be the first step.

The question was discussed here:

I'm only knowedgeable on these topics through personal experience and a lot of feedback from other cases that I can pass on although every case has its specifics....

Cheers
Ricky

I only posted one tiny suggestive way around certain boundaries that sometimes affect even good people because we all know there are certain things you can do to get things done in any case but I want no problems in Malta myself ( especially not even being there yet ) and would go for a Italian passport if it were me - that must provide discounts on pizza worldwide. :):cool::P

ricky wrote:

Hi ProChef,

I'm back in Sliema now -))) Sadly the weather was better in Germany and much less humid.....

There are some personal issues that make the situation a bit more difficult and make what you suggest appears sub-optimal but they don't have to be discussed on the public forum.

Otherwise what you suggest is probably do-able -))

To register a business you should definitly get the advice from an appropriate lawyer. The ETC would not be the first step.

The question was discussed here:

I'm only knowedgeable on these topics through personal experience and a lot of feedback from other cases that I can pass on although every case has its specifics....

Cheers
Ricky

hello there,
is there anyone on here that can give me some sound advice on moving from england to malta please ?
thanku : ))

chell wrote:

hello there,
is there anyone on here that can give me some sound advice on moving from england to malta please ?
thanku : ))

If you're a British citizen it is fairly easy for you as you don't need a visa. You'll still have to find a job unless you have your own business so I suggest you get in touch with some of the agencies mentoned here: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=203611

Then there's accommodation that needs to be sorted out. If you tell us your budget we'll be able to give you some guidance on that.

Good luck!

Hi chell,

welcome to the forum.

The answer to your question is : yes -)))

You posted on a thread for non-EU's ! Are you a non-EU citizen ?

To give sound advice we need a little more information than 'nothing' -))):

Reason for making the move, personal situation (will you be looking for work or are you self-sufficient or self-employed),lifestyle you are looking for and so on.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Urban

I help South Africans to do in Malta what you need. Email me at [email protected] and I will send you further information

Hi Urban,

This post is quite old but I'd like to know if you managed to move to Malta as I would be relocating to Malta soon and perhaps we could have a few mates.

Thanks,
Sergio