Hello to All

I am new to the forum, and wanted to briefly introduce myself. I live in the USA, but seriously considering a move to Central America/Caribbean. I love the warm weather, ocean, palm trees, etc. I am a high school history/social studies teacher by profession. However, I would like to open my own business in the near future. I have a passion for dogs. Can you please tell me about teaching/opportunities in international schools. Also, is Costa Rica a pet-friendly country? Is there a need for a dog walking/sitting/training, etc. business in areas of the nation? My Master's degree is in Education, but I also hold a BA in Hospitality Management. I would be amenable to opening a business that is food related--any needs/suggestions? Is pizza big there?

Thank you in advance for your assistance, etc. I am sure I will have a ton of questions and concerns related to social, political and economic matters. Best wishes!

Tom

HOLA :)

Hello Tom.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

In meantime, you could go through the other threads on the Costa Rica forum. It can help.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Tom,

My husband and I are moving to Costa Rica in about May.  In San Ramon they have a wonderful charity called "Dog Land." An Austrian woman takes in stray dogs, of which there are many in Costa Rica.  She has outdoor and dog house lodging for them and good care for them and seems to welcome all volunteers.
When we were looking at houses in Costa Rica - we eventually bought - It seemed just about every house we visited had dogs and or cats or both.

From what I know pets do not need to be quarantined but do need vet papers, of course.

I don't know if farm animals are treated well. I am not fully informed, but it seemed to me a lot of people had their own chickens in the countryside.

Some expats around San Ramon take in orphan spider monkeys.  I don't know how that works.  There is the famous sloth sanctuary on the Caribbean coast, seemingly run by expats.

Arlene

We are planning on taking all our pets, all rescue animals: two dogs, and five cats.

Arlene

i lovee catsss