29th/30th september Week end cleaning ile aux Benitiers + Art

Moving into Action!

As part of our actions to connect more with Nature and protect our Natural World- Planning of regular activities in Nature including walks, picnics, cleaning the beaches, planting for future generations, talks on indigenous plants, and others, Nature Action team One Future One planet (in collaboration with other stakeholders) is organising a 2 day cleaning campaign on Ile aux Benitiers in the South West of Mauritius.

(More info about what we do here:
mu.onefutureoneplanet.org/news/nature-d … omment-173)

We want to focus on places where regular cleanups are not done, though logically everyone should feel responsible for their own rubbish, unfortunately, as we all notice daily, it is not the case.

Ile aux Benitiers, not being on the list for regular cleaning by the government, as many other islets and places in Mauritius, is constantly subject to much littering- which is very striking especially after public holidays. Also, sadly, some of those who use the island for economic activity don't seem to be aware of how "throwing in the bushes" affects the environment.

We are looking into sensitising those who bring clients- Mauritians or Tourists to make sure people don't leave the island polluted so they can in turn sensitise others. The Association of Pleasure Craft operators will offer free boat shuttle from 8 am to 10 am. And back from 2.00 to 4 pm on both days. The pick up point is at La Gaulette "débarcader."

The rubbish will be collected in different categories (plastic, cans, paper/cardboard, and non recyclable). We also think it would be interesting to make an artwork (s) with the rubbish collected so calling for artists or anyone who has expertise in the matter who can help in the co-creation. Please get in touch!

We are currently looking into seeking permission to display the artwork at the La Gaulette Embarcadere since it is a regular pick-up point for the Island.

To Bring:

Gloves,
Bin bags (will possibly be provided- depending on sponsorship availability), Footwear to walk in the sea as we might need to walk a little bit if tide is low, Lunch, water, juice, snacks,
Hat, Preferably wear light coloured clothes, sun protection cream if needed, sunglasses, Positive vibes :)

If you are willing to contribute as a sponsor, want to help in the co-creation if Artwork with the rubbish collected, or just need further information

Share and spread the word! Everyone who would like to joing the project about making an artwork (or many) with the rubbish or know people who might be interested and/or have expertise in building structure for artistic works, please get in touch!

Facebook: Virginia Lamarque or Maja Papaya Zidov
E-mail: virginia.ofop@gm ail.com and/or zidovmaja@gm ail.com

Mmm... nice, some volunteering group!!
I am definitely in for nature walks, picnics, planting for future generations, talks on indigenous plants, and others! Just not sure about picking other people's trash, I see people throw things from their car every day like it was the most natural thing in the world! Maybe somebody on here can convince me!

Hi!

I am DEFINITELY interested in helping out with the cleaning as well as the other "fun stuff"!  Is it possible we could do this in conjunction with International Coastal Clean-Up/Coastweeks?  I have assisted with this event in St Thomas, USVI for the last 3 years, so I have a good idea of what needs to be done.  I could get all of the necessary paperwork and bring it to the event.  All we would have to do is get volunteers to document the type of trash we are collecting. 

So, one volunteer could wear gloves and pick up the trash, the other volunteer simply holds the garbage bag and ticks off the type of trash on the data collection sheet...CHRISTEL...this could be you!!!  ;)  You are helping the environment and all the lovely creatures in the ocean who have to deal with our careless ways...plus, you don't have to get your hands dirty! Yaaay! ;);)  Does that convince you?  A job for everyone!  :)

Please let me know how I can help and if you're interested in taking this a step further in documenting the collection for the international database (I will do that part!)

Thanks and so happy to see that this is going on!  Enjoy your day...

Courtney

Good initiative.. i'm defenitly in to give a helping hand...
We just have to keep in touch for the mmeting point.... Will bring along some friends also

Christel S. wrote:

I am definitely in for nature walks, picnics, planting for future generations, talks on indigenous plants, and others! Just not sure about picking other people's trash, I see people throw things from their car every day like it was the most natural thing in the world! Maybe somebody on here can convince me!

It doesn't matter what other people do.

It's matter what YOU do ?

Nothing ?
So you are not better than the other...
Just more passiv

If you want a change in the world, just show to others what to do, how to do.
Not only complain about others, government, etc etc etc

Facebook: Virginia Lamarque or Maja Papaya Zidov
E-mail: virginia.ofop[at]gm ail.com and/or zidovmaja[at]gm ail.com

CourtinUSVI wrote:

Hi!

I am DEFINITELY interested in helping out with the cleaning as well as the other "fun stuff"!  Is it possible we could do this in conjunction with International Coastal Clean-Up/Coastweeks?  I have assisted with this event in St Thomas, USVI for the last 3 years, so I have a good idea of what needs to be done.  I could get all of the necessary paperwork and bring it to the event.  All we would have to do is get volunteers to document the type of trash we are collecting. 

So, one volunteer could wear gloves and pick up the trash, the other volunteer simply holds the garbage bag and ticks off the type of trash on the data collection sheet...CHRISTEL...this could be you!!!  ;)  You are helping the environment and all the lovely creatures in the ocean who have to deal with our careless ways...plus, you don't have to get your hands dirty! Yaaay! ;);)  Does that convince you?  A job for everyone!  :)

Please let me know how I can help and if you're interested in taking this a step further in documenting the collection for the international database (I will do that part!)

Thanks and so happy to see that this is going on!  Enjoy your day...

Courtney

Laurent1967 wrote:
Christel S. wrote:

It doesn't matter what other people do.

It's matter what YOU do ?

Nothing ?
So you are not better than the other...
Just more passiv

If you want a change in the world, just show to others what to do, how to do.
Not only complain about others, government, etc etc etc

I never said I was better than everybody else! But if you call me passive because I don't throw my crap everywhere then yes, I am passive! And I am definitely interested in planting, if you know of any opportunities.

By the way, picking other people's trash is not showing people what to do, it is doing the work for people. Not the same thing. If the people who throw trash are more interested in knowing how to dispose of their trash better, I would definitely participate. So if we can think of a solution together, I am all for it. if you are just going to judge me because I don't want to pick up other people's trash, no thank you.

In my opinion the goal of these initiatives is not to actually clean the beach (once a year won't make a difference) but to educate the locals by sending a strong message to the nation, and this can only be done with an extensive media coverage.

I have worked for national radio and television in Europe, and we have always backed up this sort of events by giving them a max exposure. Perhaps this would be a starting point to make all of this worth. Hopefully in the long run, with adequate media coverage, each paper or bottle we collect could result in 100 less bottles and papers in the wild.

Is the TV and press behind us here?

Silvano

Silvan0 wrote:

In my opinion the goal of these initiatives is not to actually clean the beach (once a year won't make a difference) but to educate the locals by sending a strong message to the nation, and this can only be done with an extensive media coverage.

I have worked for national radio and television in Europe, and we have always backed up this sort of events by giving them a max exposure. Perhaps this would be a starting point to make all of this worth. Hopefully in the long run, with adequate media coverage, each paper or bottle we collect could result in 100 less bottles and papers in the wild.

Is the TV and press behind us here?

Silvano

Great idea, Silvano. We always had loads of newspaper, TV and radio exposure during our Coastweeks cleanups in St Thomas. I have  plenty of info/ready-made docs we can use for press releases if anyone can help me with where to send them. :)