Want to move to Targu Mures!!

Hello!
I am an english speaking native currently living in the United States. I want to move to Romania in September 2012. However in order for me to move I need to find a job which seems to be a bit difficult. I am looking for jobs within Targu Mures because that is where I want to live. I have experience in the hotel industry as well as in teaching. If anybody knows of any jobs within the area or how I can go about searching for possible jobs please let me know! Thanks! :-)

Hello ashliegh.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

The Jobs in Romania section might help you. You should post an advert there.

Hope you'll be given some tips as well.

Good luck in your research,
Aurélie

Hi !
I will travell to Tirgu Mures on 20.08. and i will ask a lot of friends from there if they can help you.Write me more.
Best regards ! Frenky!

As an American in Romania it will be a tad hard to get a job, first for you is the language barrier even do romanian language is very easy to learn, the so called median income is around 300-400 euro a month allot lower than even the minimum wage in US ( $10,75 an hour), you have to do your homework really well.
I suggest to research american companies with a presence in Romania even contact the US consulate to help with information.

PS- Also Targu Mures is a Transilvanian city and the second language is hungarian wich I guess you are not speaking either

I was told by others that I could get an English teaching job but the requirements seem to be unclear or maybe it varies from company to company and/or school to school. It's a bit hard to find companies/schools that are actually hiring too. Anybody have any ideas and/or information about it? It would be a great help thanks! :-)

-on a side note the minimum wage in the United States varies from state to state. In the state of New Hampshire the minimum wage is $7.25 per hour and I am sure that no state has that high of a minimum wage requirement.

Hi Ashliegh,

It all depends on your qualifications. If you have a BA in Eng Lit and something like a masters in English as a second language or the US equivalent of a PGCE, plus some experience, you might be able to find a private university or large international high school that'll give you a job and pay you well. Not sure how many exist in Targu Mures though.

If you just have a TEFL/CELTA certificate and experience, then you're limited to language schools and training organisations, but they will have lots of applications from EU teachers too who will get priority as they are easier to employ - no visas, permits, or other tedious paperwork.

With no qualifications in teaching it'll be next to impossible to secure a work permit to teach here, and without a work permit you would find it difficult to stay more than 3 months, or you can stay longer working as an illegal alien, but you'll be fined when you try to leave the country and possibly banned from returning, or worse.

In Targu Mures it'll be even harder to find a job as it's a small town. Your best bet might be to look into getting some placements with a charitable organisation, or something along those lines.

Interesting...I guess this is where it gets a bit confusing. Some say you need a B.A. in some sort of degree and others say you don't. I don't have a B.A. but I do have some credits and experience in teaching. I don't need a job in Targu Mures but if I could find one fairly close by that would be ideal because I want to stay in that city or at least very close to it. I was reading about the TEFL certifications too but it is kinda expensive to do and again some say it's needed and others say its not.

I think in all countries you need to have at least a degree to become a teacher, usually in the subject you are teaching. Certainly if you want to be a good teacher you should have at least a TEFL certificate. You might find some suspect language schools willing to give you some cash-in-hand conversation lessons, but without the right qualifications for the job securing a work permit will be next to impossible, and without that it'll be hard to get a residency permit too.

As in US getting a job involves a lot of foot work, networking etc.
You can even try to advertise english language tutoring for kids, i guess it will be even harder to secure a job before even you go there.

Ps- You were right about minimum wage :), I lived in Chicago for a long time and for some reason I tought that in Illinois is $10.75, sadly I was not even close.

Hi Ashliegh,

There is also another way - to open your own business here. The fees to open a company are not big and then you can just keep company open without actually doing something. Just don't forget to pay taxes :)

Kristina

Hi,
yes but in order to open a business you need money to start and then I actually need to make money too in order to live. Even if I could start a business I don't know Romanian to be able to speak with people who would enter into my business and the business wouldn't be a sure thing. There is a big chance that it could fail or that I wouldn't make any/ much money from it. I would need steady work but thanks for the idea :-)

Hey
I know what Kristina is talking about and it's not as expensive as you think to set up. You basically register yourself as a freelance teacher and invoice the schools that you teach at.

Unfortunately there are some hurdles there as well.Like to set up you need a premises so you need your landlord to agree to let you use your flat as a business which some won't :-(

Like Maykal said you could get a school that will pay cash in hand but that doesn't always work out well either, e.g. you may have to travel an hour for 2 hours of work and the money isn't that grand.

I would suggest getting in contact with someone who helps foreigners with this kind of thing so they can advise you about the cost and convenience.

Hope this helps.

Ashleigh
Im not a English teacher but in my life i have come across many T.E.F.L acredited teachers.
From what i remember hearing them talk is that in Bulgaria there are many private schools where you could work

Hello all! I'm interested in finding out how things have progressed since this post as I have also decided I wish to move to Tîrgu Mureș.

Hey. Are you living now in Targu Mures? :)