We are thinking of moving to Malta. We have many doubts.

Hi everyone,

We are a young couple of 26 years currently living in Spain. We are thinking of moving to Malta in the coming months but we have many doubts, I would appreciate if you could help a little.

Regarding the work is hard to find? I am a computer engineer and I have an experience in igaming in Spain and internationally. My girlfriend is biochemistry and experienced in pharmacies.
Where can we start looking? Our English is not very good, can be a problem?

The standard of living? We have been informing us and seeing floors, it appears that the floors are not very high, yet we read that water, electricity and food are very expensive, right?
you can tell me any website to look at homes? What are the most peaceful areas to live?

Thank you very much for everything.

Regards.

there always worries when moving to a new country....and malta is no diffferent...jobs are hard to find never mind get the them...but with your computer skills and i gaming experience that should make it easier..especially if you speak a couple of languages too.

electricity and water are said to be expensive (mainly by the maltese nationals and mainly due to very heavy government subsidies in the past - now the piper has to be paid...from our point of view we find it much cheaper here than UK. Of course its swings and roundabouts as electrinics and white goods are mega expensive, foodstuffs can be cheap but if you want mainstream international brands they are expensive we are an island and most stuff is imported.

Hi jlmarse,

welcome to the forum.

With your IT qualifications and i gaming experience there should be jobs available for you - except that you don't speak much English! That will be a difficulty.

I was just reading about the highest unemployment rates in Spain since 1976. Don't make the mistake and believe the low figures published for Malta. The salaries are very low for many jobs so people are forced to work in several jobs to make ends meet and the employment agency is always putting unemployed into training courses so that they drop out of the official statistics.

So start learning English and check out the usual job sites and send out your cv's to job agencies.

If you find a job in IT/i gaming you should be able to do ok in Malta.

Cheers
Ricky