Any audiophiles here?

Hello everybody!:)

I am an audiophile and am wondering if it makes any sense to ship Hi-Fi equipment from Canada (about 200kg total) or it would be easier to buy it in Ecuador? Prices? Could you please point me (websites?) to reputable local Hi-Fi shops?

If you are moving here for real, bring what ever you have.  Check out the importation rules first because the government is very suspicious when you import multiple items.  For instance you are now only allowed to bring in one TV, one cell phone, one computer...  Prices for electronics are generally higher and most of the items are "made in China" copies.

Thank you Mehrlyn!:)

Could you please let me know where I can find the importation rules (in English, if at all possible)? I am most concerned about my High-End amplifiers and speakers…

Are there any local electronics shops on the Internet: so far I have seen none?

How would you rate local power supply? I mean if I need to bring a good power conditioner for my stereo?

Is there a reputable shipper you could possibly recommend me to employ? I wonder what they will charge…

Getting the importation rules in English is next to impossible.  You will need to contact an import/export company and get them to translate the rules to you.  I am assuming that you will be packing a container?  I strongly suggest making the packing crates as strong as possible but identify very clearly how to get into them, other wise the crates will be destroyed during inspection.  I have never had to go through this process since I flew down here on a two year contract and everything is provide for me.  I left all my stuff at home with my wife.
As for power, better safe than sorry.  Power goes out on a regular basis and comes back with out warning.
As for shippers, there are many idividuals on this forum with more knowledge about this than me.  I believe that you are not allowed to be present when the inspect your personal effects and everything needs to be itemized down to the smallest, individual and seprate piece.  If you dont list it, dont expect it to be there when you pick it all up.
As for high end electronics, those that can afford them ship them from the states or bring them in on a plane.  The best you will find here is about as good as a Sears or Wallmart back home.
Bring everything from N.America and look around and get reccomendations from other expats about the frieght forwarder.  Remember the old saying, "if it is to good to be true it probubly is!"

Hello SunSpotter,

I can help you with customs regulations in Ecuador, how to write the packing list in the right way and other information about moving your sound equipment here.

Contact me by the Expat.com email or write me to [email protected].

Vinny