Chances of securing a job without knowing how to speak French

I was wondering if anyone could help me answer a few question? But firstly let me tell you about myself and situation. I am a British citizen and 28 years old. I have recently married and my wife is Mauritian. I work in a superstore and a manager and have 11 years experience. I can speak English but i am not fluent in French however I am willing to learn. My wife is a lawyer. My wife and I wish to move to Mauritius in the next 10 months, we have family there who are more then willing to help us. However my main concern is securing a job in Mauritius, I think my issue is that I don't speak French, how much is this a problem?? And the other is I do not hold a high degree but I have got a very good back ground and strong experience in retail. What the chances of me securing a job with someone like the likes of "Winner"? finding a well paid job, something in the region of 45,000 rs per month? I can send you my CV if this will help you answer any questions?

I will be very grateful if you could help me answer these questions. Although i Have been to Mauritius many times, I do not have a clue about the job industries. I have looking for some help and advice.

Thanks

Harjinder Mann

I lived and worked in France for a good number of years without speaking French. That was because my co-workers wanted to speak English. But I would never use that as an excuse for not learning.

Ive been here four months and work in an English speaking environment. No issues for me there. Outside of work and most people can switch from English to French without difficulty. (We Brits are appallingly lazy when it comes to language.

You could get by well enough with English alone but its to your advantage to learn French. The good news is that Mauritius is a great place to learn because so many speak both languages well and are generally only too happy to help.

Good luck and every happiness to you both.

Phil_in_France

Thank you for your post, its encouraging to know I can move and learn French as I go, and yes your spot on, it defiantly will be a huge advantage for me to learn French. 

Harj

hello harjinder,

Well you can have plenty of career opportunities in Mauritius depending on your flexible skills. And as u rightly said, learning french could be a big advantage for you.

Well i know a communication school in Mauritius teaching expatriates like you, several languages.

here are their details;

WEBSUN ACADEMY
TEL: 4646918
MAIL: [email protected]

They are situated in Quatre - Bornes.

Cheers,

Vivek.

Dear VVK

That's very useful, thank you for those details and your post. I will surly get in touch with WEBSUN ACADEMY in April. Already feeling allot more confident about the situation.

Harj

Hi,

My husband and I do not speak French, although my husband is taking lessons from a lady in Cascavelle - and he is learning very fast!

I am finding it more difficult to learn, but  can honestly say that it is not a problem as most people speak English here - although I am trying hard to learn :):)
90% of the people in my husbands office speak English so he has had no problems there.

Good luck

Just remembered:

Pick and Pay the huge South African Supermarket chain have opened 2 new supermarkets here, I recently in Cascavelle, Flic en Flac, maybe contact them.

I know one of the Deputy Managers, if you want me to put you in touch with each other let me know :)

Hi Rosiewestie

That's great, I have had such positive feedback on this matter. Now nervous and pretty much looking forward to the "big move". 9 months and counting!