American (Ohio) in Bristol

Hello there!

I'm Liam. I've just moved to Bristol (well, last October) from London and I was wondering if there were any events for the American community here at all. I never got involved in anything like that in London where I lived for 6 1/2 years, but I figure new town/new start.

I've been living in the UK continuously since early 2005, a year after getting married to a lovely English lady that I met when I spent a year at Lancaster University in 1998/99.

We moved to Bristol after I was made redundant from the charity I was office manager for and my wife was offered a good job over here in the southwest. So far I love this city and I've not regretted the move at all. I can't say I don't miss London at times, but I could see being here for quite a long time.

So... As before... Any events going on? I know there's something going on over at the American Museum in Bath on or around 4 July, but are there any regular or semi-regular meet-ups? I'd really like to get to know some peopele. :)

Liam, I am not on this website often. I noticed you are from Ohio? I'm from Cleveland. I also see you were an office manager for charity? I run a charity fundraising operation here in the Southwest. What's your story?

Tim
[email protected]

Hi, Tim. I'm not on here all that often either as traffic seems a little slow. I'm from down at the other end of Ohio in the middle of nowhere. Closer to Huntington, WV, than anywhere else.

I'm actually doing lower level administration for a small Chinese charity here in Bristol now. They're good people and I enjoy the work, but I'll probably be looking to move on in the next few months. My background (since moving to the UK over seven years ago) has largely been not-for-profit and I've done quite a lot of stuff including, like you said, office managing for a small (but mighty!) disability charity in London. That job came to a sticky end at the hands of funding cuts though, and when my wife was offered a job over here in Bristol we jumped at it.

What sort of charities are you fundraising for? I've not been involved in much apart from Chinese community related stuff since moving over here, but I did get involved in a FareShare food event a few months back which was a lot of fun. :)