Sucessfully imported car from UK at last!

Hi everyone,

Just to say thanks to all those of you who answered my queries about bringing a car to Malta from the UK. As we don't live here permanently, but do visit fairly frequently, it seemed that the stumbling block could be the fact that we do not have a Maltese ID card.
However, we found that all we needed to do was to get a notary to write a statement for us saying that we own an apartment here. We used a copy of a utility bill with our names and Maltese address on it and attached this to the statement.The notary charged 20euros for this service.

The company 'UK to Malta' sent a driver to collect our car from our home in Cheshire. It was then placed on a transporter, driven to Livorno and finally shipped to Malta.
It arrived on Monday  and today I had to go to Transport Malta with the guy from  'UK to Malta' where it was duly re registered. As the car was a week late in arriving, they even deducted the amount of my rebooked air fare to the UK from the final cost.
The insurance company even gave us our UK no claims discount when I showed them it on our UK policy.
I'm pleased to say everything has worked out just fine.
Hope this is helpful to anyone else out there doing a similar thing.
Caroline

well done caroline......prosit

Hi Caroline,

congratulations and thanks for giving the feedback. Every little bit of info helps to understand Malta -)))

Regards
Ricky

Nice :-)

did TM confirm who exactly is allowed to drive your car while in Malta ?

Everything is legal and above board George. We are named drivers and anyone else over 25 with our permission on our insurance. We have already been driving a car which we purchased here nearly 4 years ago and registered to us.

I thought if a car is exempted from the registration tax, you are very limited as to who can drive it

here's the Act

http://www.justiceservices.gov.mt/Downl … =10401&l=1

page 6

(15) A motor vehicle in respect of which an exemption has been
granted under this rule, shall not be sold, assigned, transferred,
hired out, lent or disposed of in any manner in Malta, unless it is
scrapped in accordance with the provisions of the Registration and
Licensing of Motor Vehicles Regulations, following its importation
or its bringing into Malta unless the vehicle registration tax to
which the exemption aforesaid relates is paid thereon in accordance
with the provisions of the Second Schedule to the Act.

The car was not exempted from the registration tax. We had to pay that along with the road licence etc.

Oh George, you do like to put the cat among the pigeons!

I am not unintelligent and checked everthing meticulously to make sure all was legal.

obviously did not check my spelling on that last post. I meant 'everything'! I put it down to 'finger fatigue'! :-)

sorry about that - for some reason I thought you'd said in an earlier thread you were bringing in under exemption