Livestock cost

Hello,
iŽm a guy from Sweden who is moving to Mongolia in about a year from now. IŽm going to live as a self-sufficient shepeard on the plains and i am at the moment saving for an initial capital to make this dream a reality.
I am daily learning about the lifestyle but i realize that iŽm going to need some help and probably some visits to learn enough to be able to survive.
I would be really grateful for any advice about surviving in these conditions and any anwers to some of my questions would also be very appreciated.
First of all iŽm wondering what the cost of livestock is in Mongolia and where and how i can buy these, that is to say sheeps, goats, horses, cows, yaks and camels.
What Gers, wagons, horse saddles and other necessary stuff costs would also be great to know.
Pros and cons about solar vs windmill energy for charching a laptop battery and keep one light-bulb running. Do you think i should seek cooperation with neighbors for herding, that is taking turns herding, and perhaps other stuff since iŽm a fledgling? what kind of medical equipment and pills should i have in store just in case?
Costs of deels, for all seasons. Cost of snuffbottles. yes i think that was about it! Thanks in advance for any replies.

Lots of love! David

Hi David!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

Sounds like you should start off by coming here and living with a family of working herdsmen. Learning the language would be a good start too, especially if you expect to get fair prices for a ger, livestock and workers.

I can tell you 2 things I learned from staying in North Eastern Dornod last week.  In that area, a 3 year old horse will cost 350,000-400,000 and a 3 year old bull will cost about 130,000.  I think the price of the cow is amazing!!

Yeah learning the language is a good start.
And there are many customs to buying animals, you don't simply show up and buy.
So I suggest you find a good partner first, and pay him to help you.
As a foreigner you'll be paying off the roof for the animals and equipment.
It's cheaper to get the equipment at the black marked but the quality is so so so.

a Mongolian saddle starts at 150 000 MNT
Tourist saddel 90.000 MNT
A good riding horse ca 700.000
a mare: 600.000
Stallion: 800.000 to 1.000 000.

Sheep: 70.000-150 000
goat: around 100.000
Yak: same as horse

These are the prices close to UB.

I would definitely go for solar panel, it's easy to move around with and easy to put up. And Mongolia has an average of 260 sunny days a year.

Just out of curiosity, how are you planning to get a year long visa?

I might be able to get you in touch with an English speaking guy who can help out a bit..

Jeanett