Janzour beach

Dear expats, Janzour beach is closed due to Ramadan. Where should we poor expats warm up our bodies and lay on the beach?

We like to go out to Surman - about a 45 minute drive west of Janzour.  If you have Google Earth and search for Surman Beach you will see markers there for it.  Though it is a public beach, it is geared towards families therefore no one seems to mind our western bathing suits.  I have been out there with my husband every weekend in the past month and been loving every second of it.  I do get comments if my husband leaves my side but overall things are pretty comfortable.  There are usually a couple groups of expats at least.

There are loads of empty beaches driving east on the main highway past Janzour...take your pick

Ha ha ha - go east, go west, wherever!:cool: Just don't forget your cooler!

Isn't Libya great?

I wonder how do you get to those beaches... by taxi?
I know nothing!

Thanks for help Laurieloo and Sandman. But you I dont have a driver's license here. Without a car it is so difficult to move to Surman I think or waste time looking for suitable beach in the east(((((  I am in vain

Jamie, we have a car.

Sorry to tease you mrivans - I didn't realize you are without your own vehicle.  If you were really keen to go to Surman I am sure you could hire a driver for the day that would take you there and wait for you until you were done and drive you home.  If you are interested, call Shadi's Taxi here in Janzour - 091 212 2639.  Mr Shadi speaks English well.  Good luck!

Is it of any help to have a bike?
It sounds dangerous but maybe once you are outside the city center it is not that dangerous... what do you think about biking in Tripoli?

I wouldn't ride a bicycle in or around town for 3 reasons:

1) Drivers are not used to having them around therefore they are not likely to be looking for cyclists

2) The road conditions are not good

3)I value my life:D

All in all you could certainly use a bicycle on quieter streets without too much worry but I would not consider this as my primary means of transport.  Maybe you would - I guess it depends on how daring you are...

Haha, ok!
Thanks!

Janzour is open again! and they didn't take any entrance fee and the tables and chairs seem to be free now! and there are very few people there because of the Ramadan! and girls can wear bikini! Expats mostly and very few locals - as of today. :D

Can somebody explain me where exactly Janzour beach is located? Thanks a lot :)