Moving to SA

Hi All

My boyfriend and I are (both from the UK) are currently filling out our Visa applications with a view to moving to SA within the next couple of years.  He is looking at moving to the Johannesburg area as he thinks it will be best for work opportunities.  He is an Electrican by trade and I am currently a Company Secretary but have a background in Administration, Customer Services and Marketing.  Is Johannesburg the best place to pick as we have visited other areas that are much more attractive and quieter but may not have the work we both need.  Any thoughts?

Hi JC125 and welcome to Expat.com!

I wish you good luck in your projects.;)

Harmonie.

Hi.

Other bigger cities like Cape Town and Durban also have lots of employment opportunities, though maybe not as many as Joburg. But In my opinion C.T. is a much more friendly city to live in and work in for expats.. Also dont just think about job opportunities finding a please where you feel safe, where there are places where you can have fun and where you would enjoy living. I would rather be half way poor in C.T. that well of in Joburg...! (Maybe that is just me)  :D

Hi Jo,

I moved out to SOuth Africa on the 10th March so have been here now for 10 days. I am living and working in the Jo'burg area in a job I was given back in the UK, funnily enough I am from Berkshire too, I lived in Ascot, just down the road from you in Slough :-)

My girlfriend is South African and we both want to live and work in Cape Town but I'm working here in Sandton, Jo'burg for a year first as CT is a very expensive place to set up and live.

Unlike the girl who has already commented, I am not biased as I have just arrived and live in one place with a view to go to the other in a year. I personnaly want the lifestyle that CT offers, the ocean, the quality of life etc.... But Jo'burg is much bigger with far more opportunities for work AND is a lot cheaper to move to (of course there are some areas more expensive than others like any place). Sandton is one of the most affluent areas with the largest Mall in the SOuthern Hemisphere (Sandton City Mall) and all the major banks and financial houses are here too.

Like you said in your post, there are places far prettier than Jo'burg, but I personally think its a good place to start for work reasons and then you can choose someplace nicer by exploring whilst here and wait till you have the funds and either the work contacts or a job offer someplace else.

Feel free to drop me a line if you want any other recent UK expat advice :-)

Damon