Where to start?

I have been looking to contact someone that would be able to help me find an apartment to rent. I am not sure if the renting process takes longer than it does in the US, so I am not sure when to start. I also am not sure which area to live in, I was thinking the 12th because I have heard it has an artist community and sense I am an Interior Designer that may be a good fit for me. It has been wonderful to travel through out paris but to live in one area is totally different than staying for a few days. Any suggestions on who to contact or should I tackle this on my own.

Thank you for your time and thoughts,
Tabatha Chase

The best would be to start looking as soon as you can. It's not very easy to find good and affordable housing in Paris (whichever area you decide to go to - I would advise you to broaden your horizons there, and look around your favourite area too).
It can take quite long to find something, and places you will visit may not be free immediately, so the sooner the better! And don't forget that you will have to gather quite a few documents to give the rental agency, especially proof that you can pay the rent!

Thanks for the thoughts, to follow up with them what documents will I need? And do you think it would be better to rent an appartment for a few weeks online, then will I am there and able to go look at places and areas find an apartment that will suit me better.

Otherwise I will have to find and trust that an agent will be able to help me until I get to Paris. Which is a little scary sense I don't know anyone.

Merci,
Tabatha Chase

It's very hard to find weekly rentals in France (exept holiday rentals of course). There may be possibilities but since I'm not a parisian I can't say where you could find these, if they exist.
By the way, in France leases are usually 3 year leases (of course you can leave before that if necessary), bear that in mind.
As for necessary documents, you'll need proof that you have a job and pay slips. Not being French, you'll probably have to prove you are not illegally in France. And you'll need enough money to pay at least the equivalent of a month's lease - maybe even more.
Good luck!

You should try the announcements for "Locations" on the site www.pap.fr... you can directly contact the owners of the flats and not have to go through an agency