Education only for the privileged?

Hello everyone

Just wondering if someone could give me an idea or some advice regarding the schools in CH. We are a Danish/English family with 4 children (2, 9, 11 and 16) living in Denmark at the moment, but we dream of moving to CH as most of our work is there already and we travel a lot. Our kids go to extremely good private schools in Copenhagen, and I am not prepared to send them somewhere with a lower standard.

So far we have contacted all the English or International schools we could find online, but the fees for even one child for one year beyond ridiculous.

What do expats do w their kids if the school is not paid paid by the job? The thought of dumping the kids in a Swiss state school where they do not speak the language is not appealing either.

Does anyone know of private English speaking schools in CH for non millionaires? I am on the edge of giving up.

Just wondering if Switzerland is a country for the privileged few…..;)

Hi Annemette,

Yes private school are expensive.

In Switzerland the obligatory school have a good level and it's enough for everybody. For this reason, private school are independand and they don't become a lot of help from the government or any other institution.

If you can receive a financial support for the schooling of your children, private schools can inform you about steps(initiatives). If schools cannot help you for a stock exchange(grant), it is because it is not possible.

After all it depends of places where you want to settle down. In Switzerland, every canton is a little bit different. The simplest is to inform you by the canton which interests you.

List cantonals departments of the state education:

http://www.edk.ch/dyn/15426.php

good luck :)

Dear Annemette,

I would not calling it 'dumping' your kids in a public school. the public school system in Switzerland is very good and the private schools are indeed for the rich and priviledged.

Language, though, is a problem. Public schools are of course run in one of the four official languages, none of which is English.

Hope you find a good and payable solution for your children.

Best,

wildflowers