Residence Permit

Could someone tell me what the procedure is to obtain a residence permit in Cameroon, I have not gotten a reply from the Cameroonian Embassy.

Hi portpass!

Maybe you could tell us the date of your application ?

Armand

I have not put in an application yet. I wanted to know what the procedure was ahead of time if it is possible at all.

Hey Portpass,

The procedure mostly includes:

(a) Your reason/purpose of coming to Cameroon

(b) In case you're coming in to Cameroon, what's your visa status? Because according to that, they would have to put it in your Residence Permit. For example, if you're coming in to do business, studying, or just a touristic stay or visit. So, you would have to specify that at the Cameroonian Embassy.

(c) Otherwise, the process takes about a week or so, before you could get your Residence Permit. But in most cases, it would or could depend on the 'visa status' like I mentioned. And plus, it also depends on how long you want you permit to last before you have to renew it. For the locals, they have a 10-year span for their permit. For someone like me who's a student it could go from 2 - 5 years duration, regardless of my Academic duration or stay in the country.

Now, that's for you decide. You could tell them, as a business person that, you want to have a 10-year Resident Permit; they could have that done for you, yet it may vary or have had varied over time (for as long as I remember, over the times that I've been doing mine). On top of that, the prices definitely varies; for sure. And what I've noticed is, if you're American, they favor you the most and at the same time may charge you more depending on your case or request.

If you are affiliated with the US Embassy here in Yaounde for example, then the procedure would definitely be different. And if you're not, then it's just the normal procedure for any other international newcomer to the country. It also counts that you need to know an inside person - in short for saying, 'shortcuts'. I have my cousin that knows a lady that could help, but it would sound like I'm promoting corruption, yet my intentions were to just portray how it functions; or at least, on how I've seen and known to have it done.

Coming back to Base 1, it's your reason and purpose of coming here and your duration. That's it. The other factors, would include:

(a) Where you'll stay (it'll be inserted in the RP)
     (b) The price paid (again, according to visa status)
     (c) Your other legal details (from your Passport)

This should do it, for the most part. In case you may have further questions, do let me know.