Pirated Copies of Windows, Unauthorized Use of a Funny Mug Shot and...

...now someone has used his name for a private school in Hanoi?  Maybe they found another Bill Gates who is poor and gave him $20 to sign some papers saying they could name it after him?

Bill Gates Education System was established in 2010 and has developed to over 700 students from Kindergarten to High School
Teaching Opportunity: Full-time Teachers at Bill Gates Education System
Location: Bac Linh Dam New Urban Area, Hoang Mai District, Hanoi
Description:
To meet the continuous expansion of our operations, we are looking for:
1. Primary English Teachers.
2. Kindergarten English Teachers.
3. English/Math/Science/ICT Secondary Teachers.
4. EFL (English as a Foreign Language) Teachers.
Requirements:
1. A University or equivalent qualification in a relevant area of expertise.
2. A Teaching qualification and / or TESOL or TEFL certificate (CELTA or equivalent) and some experience in teaching either in Kindergarten, Primary or High School in an English speaking context.
3. Experience working with Vietnamese and / or other non-native English speaking international students would be an advantage.

http://newhanoian.xemzi.com/job/show/7661

UPDATE:  I found a blog that covered the story:

What's in a Name? Bill Gates School in Hanoi

Yes, dear readers, there is a Bill Gates School (BGS) in Hanoi, which consists of a kindergarten and an elementary school.  I saw an ad in my neighborhood and thought I'd check it out.  Perhaps the founders were inspired by several visits to the City of Peace by the Man Himself and his Microsoft success story.  Or perhaps it's example of honor by association.  Build it, name it after one of the most famous and respected people (Vietnamese or foreign) in Vietnam and they will enroll.

The website, a bit sparse in both languages and obviously still under construction, features dance aerobics and martial arts performances by BGS students on the occasion of the 2011 International Women's Day, a “Bill Gates TV” corner and a FAQ section with answers to these questions:
What is the climate like in Vietnam?
It is safe to travel Vietnam?
When is the best time to travel Vietnam?
What currency your prices are in?

Can you name a school or any other institution after a living person without his/her permission?  Just wondering.    P.S.:  I'm checking with Mr. Gates about this and will let you know what I hear…

http://markashwill.wordpress.com/2011/0 … -in-hanoi/

Sure, you can, where is no claim, there should't be a judge. As long is a  copyright on the name, it can't be used same as Ho Chi Minh school or anything else.

l3ully wrote:

Sure, you can, where is no claim, there should't be a judge. As long is copyright on the name, it can be used same as Ho Chi Minh school or anything else.

He probably does have a copyright on the name.  They've probably been served with some sort of legal notice by now, if Gates' legal eagles think it can be stopped. 

I'm not an expert on international copyright laws, but I would think this sort of thing would be illegal, because the use implies that he's affiliated with them.

source:  http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_copyr … sonal_name

Can you copyright your personal name?

In: Copyright Law

Answers.com > Wiki Answers > Categories > Law & Legal Issues > Business Law > Intellectual Property > Copyright Law > Can you copyright your personal name?
Answer:

No you cannot, at least not in the Untied States. Under current US copyright law names, titles, slogans, logos , mottoes, and common words/phrases are not eligible for copyright protection. Under certain circumstances however they can be registered as trademarks

The "Untied" States?   Bwhaaaaaa ha ha ha!  I know you didn't make the spelling mistake Shakespeare.

I didn't know that.  I do know that Gates has enough money to smash them to smithereens, if he wanted to.

I don't have the time to investigate this further, but it appearsd a name can be trademarked:

06-16-2008, 08:36 AM
Not copyrighted -- short items like names or titles are uncopyrightable.

It could, however, be trademarked. That's where the issue of confusion comes in: if your name were actually Elvis Presley, and the Presley estate trademarked the name (as they probably have), then using your real name might cause confusion and thus you will be ordered to stop.

It used to be that you were allowed to use your real name, but about 20 years ago, the Coca Cola Company managed to keep Walter Taylor from putting his own name on his Bully Hill Wine because it could cause confusion with Coca Cola's Taylor Wines brand (and Walter was even part of that Taylor family).

If you tried to start a singing career as Elvis Presley, the Presley estate would be suing you the second they heard of it, and use the Walter Taylor case as a precedent.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/arc … 71986.html

Back to the ole' drawing board Bully.