New tax on plastic bags sends prices soaring

Prices of plastic bags have rocketed since the Environmental Protection Tax Law came into effect this month, slapping steep taxes on them.

From 2012 January 01 a kilogram of plastic bags attracts a tax of up to VND50,000, as the government seeks to reduce their use by supermarkets and shopping centres by 40% by 2015.

This is causing difficulties for small traders who consume the majority of plastic bags. Pham Thi Thu Hong, who has a fruit shop in Long Bien, Ha Noi, wholesale market said with a kilogram of small plastic bags now costing VND70,000, up from VND43,000 earlier, she intended to raise the price of fruits to cover the costs.

Truong Phat, a stall holder in Binh Tay market in HCMC District 6, said the wholesale price of plastic bags has almost doubled to VND65,000-70,000 a kilogram now.

Notwithstanding the higher prices, sales of the bags remain high. Hung, a plastic bag wholesaler in Ha Noi's Hai Ba Trung District, said since it is not easy to change consumers' old ways, small traders need to use them despite higher prices.

Can Tho small traders have even stocked up on the bags fearing their prices would increase further, sending their sales rising by more than 50% month-on-month. Dang Thi Thu An, a trader in Hue's Dong Ba Market, on the Citadel side, said she has no choice except to keep buying the bags because she cannot sell her goods without them.

A Can Tho fruit shop owner said: "I sell around 700 coconuts a day, so I need 2 kilograms of plastic bags to wrap them. With the increase in prices, my profits have fallen significantly."

In theory the law is a good thing to try and reduce the amount of plastic being used :)

That said obviously traders are going to increase there retail pricing. Overheads go up so retail prices go up simple economics.

Sheesh never thought of that concept before.

Oh and again as an expat I'm so very glad to learn about this terrible thing happening here.

"Can Tho fruit shop owner said: "I sell around 700 coconuts a day, so I need 2 kilograms of plastic bags to wrap them. With the increase in prices, my profits have fallen significantly"

700 coconuts a day? That has to be the largest coconut stand in the Delta. I'd do a fact check on that one. Regardless, if her volume is that high per the few extra dong will cut into the profit margin sure, but the bottom line at the end of the day would still put her ahead. 700?? Where in Can Tho is the humongous coconut stand? Sure ain't at none of the markets I've been too down here. Wild-1, you been there?

The answer is rice and animal feed bags - those white plastic Burlap types.

Simply ut them in half have handles sewn on and then even Foreigners can ask for a discount.

In Canada they are giving 'green' bags away ad if you are lucky, they even give you free buggies. Same in Europe.

The Cu Chi dump is nearly full and now they are dumping in Long An.

Here's an update:

http://vietnamnews.vnagency.com.vn/Envi … ports.html

Business

-- Vietnam Plastics Association has proposed that the Government suspend levying the environmental protection fee on plastic packaging since there has yet to be any instructions for the implementation of the taxation. With the two rates of fee set at VND30,000 and VND40,000 per kg, it is unclear which kind products will be subjected to the former and which to the latter. In addition, the new fee has caused production cost to increase sharply, undermining the competitiveness of domestic producers of plastic packaging, the VPS said.

Two different storys. One's a link the other I did a cut and paste.