VietNam reports second bird flu death of 2012

Or another reason to avoid local markets - at least supermarket use graded/checked products.

A 26-year-old woman in the southern Soc Trang Province has become the second to die from the bird flu virus (A/H5N1) this year (2012), the Ministry of Health announced.

According to the ministry's Department of Preventive Health, epidemic inspections showed that the victim had killed and eaten sick chickens, and that chickens had been found dead around her home earlier. A report said she had a check-up at Thanh Tri District's hospital on January 23 with fever and cough

Since the symptoms did not lessen, she was transferred to Bac Lieu Province's General Hospital two days later and was diagnosed with viral pneumonia, it said.

She died on 2012 January 28, and tests conducted by the Ho Chi Minh City Pasteur Institute's Influenza Centre showed that she was inflicted with the A/H5N1 virus, according to the report.

VietNam recorded its first H5N1 death of the new year last month – an 18-year-old boy in the Mekong Delta's Kien Giang Province. It was also the first human case to be reported in the country after a reprieve of nearly 20 months from the last reported cases.

According to a World Bank report in 2011 October, VietNam was among the countries most affected by H5N1, with 119 human cases confirmed as of 2011 March, of which 59 were fatal.

Since 2003, bird flu outbreaks have killed and led to the forced culling of tens of millions of fowl in VietNam.

The World Health Organization ranked VietNam the second most affected country after Indonesia.

Jaitch wrote:

[b][i]According to a World Bank report in 2011 October, VietNam was among the countries most affected by H5N1, with 119 human cases confirmed as of 2011 March, of which 59 were fatal.

Since 2003, bird flu outbreaks have killed and led to the forced culling of tens of millions of fowl in VietNam.

The World Health Organization ranked VietNam the second most affected country after Indonesia.

Close enough I guess, its interesting to see that Indonesia comes out top with 184 cases with 152 deaths, but they only have records going back to 2005. Egypt had 150 cases  with only 55 deaths but records only go back as far 2006. So that brings us to here and as you say Vn has had 119 cases with 59 deaths but records start in 2003.
Interesting PR China which is one of the only other countries that has figures going back to 2003 shows only 42 cases with 28 deaths.
Trust those figures as you will, statistics are great you can prove anything you want currently there are 7 or so countries with a higher death rate than here but all have less cases to count from.

Oh and yet another great article to help all the expats who are coming and are already here, guess we all had a lucky escape there....  *yawn*

The point is that knowing your food has been properly inspected is important and the reason why food inspectors stop and check vehicles, even motorcycles, to verify their loads as they enter the city overnight.

Anyone  who has had severe food poisoning knows just how debilitating it can be.

Jaitch wrote:

Anyone  who has had severe food poisoning knows just how debilitating it can be.

Your just as much at risk of that anywhere else in the world. I've had food poising 3 times in my life, the worst of which I ended up in hospital on a drip. That was after eaten in a so called fancy restaurant in the UK!