Getting to norway drive OR fly/hire?

Hi all,

Im looking how to relocate to norway has anyone any thoughts on the below?

Option 1

Take my good 4x4 from uk and drive to norway, fill it full of our pocessions and personal items?

Option 2

Fly in, hire a car for few weeks until i buy one there and fly my stuff there seperately?

With option 1 do you need to go through customs in norway, what so i expect in terms of procedures and costs??

Thanks

Karl

One has to be careful when going through toll with a foreign car if you are going to permanetly live in Norway. the Law is very strict and says that if you are a Norwegian resident with a work contract for more than a year (or for an indefinite time), you need to have your car registered in Norway. If not, you will pay a fine which is equivalent to the value of the car. Also, winter tyres are mandatory (even if we don't see much snow these days).

So if you don't have yet your fødelsnumber and residence permit, it may be an option to take the car as it will save you a lot of money. If not, better to fly and rent.

As for customs, most of the time, there is no control, if you are controlled, you should just explain the situation. the webiste toll.no explain very well in english what is allowed or not to take in Norway when you move here.

I would advise selling your car if you are intending to stay in Norway longterm as the tax is expensive and awkward to sort, I can't say much as I haven't done it personally but I know people that have brought their own car over and regretted it.

Though I still have the bigger stuff from the UK stuck at my parents place as I haven't found a way to get it here, ive got quotes from overseas moving companys but the lowest quote has been 800.00 pounds and I wasnt comfortable with the company :/ Smaller stuff can be either sold and rebrought in norway (for much,much more) or do what I did and bring a million bags with you when you fly over :)

Sorta depends on your baggage

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggests guys hpthe biggest drawback i thought of was a rhd car on wrong side of the road. I will attempt to fly and hire but wow carhire is expensive there!

Now try and find somewhere to stay

just a quick update post for anyone coming from the UK, i would seriously recommend filling your car with you're stuff and driving over (maybe with plan to drive car back and sell in 3-6months who knows).

shipping here takes forever, honestly...
car hire is really expensive approx £350-400 per week
your car will get you by for a while, buying a used car here you need to wait on your norwegian ID so as you can register the car in your name
and in my case UPS lost one of our really important cases of belongings

so just an update for you all and food for thought!