MOVING TO HONG KONG

Hi there everyone,

I was offered a position in HK recently. I am an Architect with international experience and was offered a basic salary of 46000HK$ month. I have browsed here and there to find out whether this is a decent salary or not.  Could anyone help me finding out and give me their thoughts. Could this guarantee me a good living in the city?. I am single and 36 yo and my wish would be that of saving something..

Thanks Seb

Yes 46k per month is above average. many expats in banking are making 30K and others are getting by on 15k. All apartments will usually cost a lot and will be small, thats how it is in the city. A 500 sq ft apartment will run you between 9K to 25k,depending what you want with it like a club house with a gym or nothing at all far away from the public transport.

Thanks J..which areas should I start looking at for a decent place to rent but not too expensive and close enough to the town centre. My office is located quite centrally in fact..

Anywhere on HK Island will be near by due to Hk fast public transport and the small size of the city. Soho is ideal right where the action is. Mid levels and Shan Wan are next to it as well. JW

Seb,

I moved to HK couple of weeks back.
My observation is major of the money goes out to accomodation.

And accomodation a decent one would be around some HKD15k and utilities etc. probably 2k to 3k
Monthly expenses around 8k to 10k
Tax on salary is flat 15%

Do your maths before you take a call.

Cheers

acgaur wrote:

Seb,

And accomodation a decent one would be around some HKD15k and utilities etc. probably 2k to 3k

Cheers

I agree and the same size flat near soho will cost you around 25k due to the location.

JWilliamson wrote:
acgaur wrote:

Seb,

Cheers

I agree and the same size flat near soho will cost you around 25k due to the location.

Correct..HK is expensive to live but good to explore. Hey Will, few of my friends are coming down on New year eve, I am planning to take them to Macau..any suggestions ...:)

Veniatian hotel is nice.

Its all sold out...

sucks been there and was nice.

i got to know there are some package deals available from Sheung Wan...I might check it out tomorrow :)

Lantua Island is nice but will be cold this weekend

hmm...the plan is to visit Macau for new year -->then in HK at Lan Kwai Fong etc. and ending at Shenzen,...

keep to the plan

many thanks guys! I knew that the flats were pretty expensive actually. I have checked the areas you've suggested to me and they look pretty cool. To me it sounds like it won't be impossible anyway and the offer i was made is quite in line with the general market..basically I get that it will be enough for a good living..

I think Lamma Island is a suitable place for you!
You can ask me more abt Hong Kong coz i am too familiar with that!