West London?

Potentially moving to London.

Lived in New York City for 12 years and was very accustomed to not owning a car and getting around by train, and really enjoyed city lifestyle.

I was thinking somewhere in west london. Half way between where I'd work (Iver Heath) and where my wife may work in central london. We also have 2 young girls (2 and 4.5). So was wondering how the public schools are and work?

I was thinking Acton, Ealing, Chiswick? No idea but it's about half-way and we'd love not to be too much where we'd have to have a car. Expensive? We only pay $2000 a month now - very lucky! And were hoping to spend somewhere around the same, doubtful I know - but how much more expensive is London than NYC?

Thanks in advance - first post!

Nobody? No advice?

A lot of Americans move to West London.  Its nice but its more expensive really.  There's other places that are much more quieter that you'd be able to save money on.

It all depends on what you're requirements are. Some prefer to be close to place of work while others prefer the area they are living in and are willing to commute long distance to work. On the other hand, some prefer to be in the heart of it all, i.e. where all facilities are ; i.e. cinema's, pubs, clubs, restaurants..ect. Central London is an example of this area. Then you have to pay abit more extra due to these amenities...

Hope this helps. :) - If you need more info, please feel free to ask.. :D

Regards
Jaz

Thanks Guys. Basically the question is this - I'm commuting to Iver Heath. My Wife will probably commute to central London. Would like to split the difference. Somewhere with good train access that will get me to Uxbridge station. I was thinking Ealing, Acton, Chiswick? We have Two Young Girls one who will start Kindergarten next Year. Like City life - lived in NYC for 12 years - how are those areas's? Other Recommendations?

Thanks

I think there are better areas actually.

do tell

Hampstead is nice, Blackheath in SE London is really quiet, Richmond....I guess it depends on what you really want.

I agree with Christinej on the areas she mentioned :)
Hampstead is a really nice area and close to Central London. Blackheath too is nice. The transport links are good into Central London from here too. There's also Greenwich park that's very close to Blackheath and its a very popular park. Its very good for walks, jogging taking your kids there and they have a small deer enclosure plus swans there. Sometimes you even get people that feed squirrels too. :D 

I don't know much about Richmond so cant comment on this area.

Hope this helps. :)
Jaz

Watch out for the squirrels in Greenwich Park.....those things are insane!  :)

Squirrels wont bother you - unless you have some nuts for them :D