Cost of studying engineering in Germany???

what will be the cost of studying engineering in Berlin...what will the estimate amount which includes everything like tuition fees, entertainment and everything else...and how many years does the course have...thanks...hoping for some nice replies

Welcome to Expat.com souvikroy1111!

Good luck in your study.;)

This link may help > https://www.expat.com/en/guide/europe/g … rmany.html.

Harmonie.:)

I would say you could get around well with 700 EUR per month in Berlin (depending on your living standard).

Bachelor: 3 years, Master: 2 years

The TU Berlin would be where you want to go for engineering.

Currently, the cost of tuition and other fees at TU Berlin are €275,90 per semester
(see here: referat-1a.tu-berlin.de/referat_1a/menue/informations-_und_download-center/semesterbeitraege)

So, it is very cheap to study in Berlin considering that the cost for public transportation is already included.

thanks guys, but i would want to know that i got 75% in Class 10 and this year i have my 12th finals, how much percentage is required in class 12th to get admission and is there any entrance exams or similar type examinations to get admission and my dad can afford 700 Euros and i dont want a classy student life, i am a simple guy with not much demands :)

Regards,
Souvik Roy

There is no entrance exam for most courses (ask at the university about the one you are interested in), but you need to pass a German language exam if your subject is taught in German. Most universities have 6-months preparation classes for this exam, at very reasonable cost.

beppi wrote:

There is no entrance exam for most courses (ask at the university about the one you are interested in), but you need to pass a German language exam if your subject is taught in German. Most universities have 6-months preparation classes for this exam, at very reasonable cost.

but will i get admission if i get 75% in class 12th, because i was suffering from Jaundice in the last 1 and half months and i dont expect more than 75%, thats my real concern :(

Ask for entry requirements at the university!
Many courses have none. If they have some based on school grades, they use the German system, which will cause problems for you as your grades are not easily translatable.

Most universities post the entry grades of the last semesters online.
Here is a link for the entry grades of TU Berlin studienberatung.tu-berlin.de/fileadmin/ref2/studienberatung/Auswahlgrenzen.pdf
You need to translate your grades in the german system though.

The entry grades depend on what kind of engineering you are interested in.
For example, for "chemical engineering" a 3,2 (that's about a C or C- in the US system
if you are familiar with those), while for "business engineering" you needed a 1,8 (A- to B+).

Hi, I want to study electrical engineering from berlin kindly tel me the requironments and totle coast of tution and other. my grade in fsc pre Engineering is "C".

Hi. I want to study as an international student from pak. Pleas tell me totle tution fee of bechlor of electrical engineering

it depends on the area if you have to pay tuition or not. in some areas you only pay an admin. fee + public transport ticket. usually, the university should list the fees you have to pay somewhere on its website.

Eduaction
If you're European then between 200-500 Euro per semester tuition fees, like stated above in the posts.

For non-Europeans, depending on the German university around,  tuition only can be between 275 Euro - 1500 Euro(Hessen) or even higher. The difference is of course explained between a renowned Engineering Techninal University and those Unis that should've really stayed with Political Sciences.

On top, cost of living - rent 180 Euro(dorm)->one room flat 300 Euro and up, + traintickets, insurance, sport, food ca 200 Euro p/m - on average as dilligent and non-partying student. So as foreigner, you'll "consume" at least 120k Euro in total for 5 years (pre-graduate only).

In addition (as non-European) - Before you can put a toenail over a doorstep in a university you should
a) have allready passed a language test TestDaF or DSH German language certificate. Classes and Tests are in German /Heavy German Dialect (for Bayern :cheers:). (contrary to general fresh expatriate belief, the closest you'll get to English in Germany as student, is studybooks, CNN on Television or a temporarily lost Art student in the engineering campus  :whistle:. Classes and Tests are German, although terms may be English. Spelling mistakes can lower scores - even in maths.
b) Verified the usefullness of your current certificates - anabin.de. For foreigners who do not a have international accreditation (ie private school)(this invariably leads anyway to the next (ie insufficient certification) ->
c) Pass a higher qualification entrance exam to determine your relative academic aptitude. (Feststellungpruefung).
d) Medical examination. + Proof of health insurance cover over the study period.
e) Secured a student Visa. This needs to be renewed every 3 months.
f) As a rule, present Proof of Financial Resources - at least 585 Euro per month ( 7020 Euro per year). This can be provided as scholarship award, bank account history over the last year or more of the parents, or liquid assets held by a well-endowed relative with commitment to take over all subsequent and collateral costs of your stay (important for "Auslaenderamt"/Alien Office for those students that have unintended exploding medical costs).These exploding medical costs stems mostly from students that belief that they can study fulltime, do homework assignments + part time work.

Need for Clanning/Coccooning  :par: - 36% drop out rate from the first year. If you don't speak fluent German already, prepare to spend  8 months just catching-up compared to your fellow students, on themes discussed in class that's not in the books. The German education system means that "most" those fellows are constant, direct competition, simliar like in other Anglo Saxon countries like UK, US - since marks are applied Gaussian, and there can only be so much Summa cum laude at the end. This unspoken systemic surpression of "espirit de Corps" is balanced with informal "marine-pack" allegiance style subworking groups and may be a surprise for those from other cultures.

If you're sure that you can get the 7 points above in a jiffy - I suggest you consider TU Munchen and TU Aachen as renowned Engineering Campuses.

J

thank you for your relevant information. i am planning to go German for my undergraduate course .. I think I am unable to afford such huge amount of fees. And I am eager to know if we can pay the universities fees working there in free times like in holidays and other extra times . And also isn't there any scholarship scheme for international students? what is the maximum working hour per week there for students? and how much can we earn ?

You cannot afford the abovementioned fees (less than €300 per semester, which is 6 months)? Then you'll have even bigger problems living here, which requires at least €700-800 per month.
It is unlikely that you can earn that much without negative impact on your study results - after all, it's meant to be full-time studies!

thank you for your kind information....

Hi i am danish i want to know that what is the cost of studying electronics engeering in germany and i have got A1 grade in 10 class and A grade in 11 class .

Hi Danishgh,

Why do you put your "location" in the profile to "Karachi" (Pakistan) and say you are Danish?
I encourage you to read the thread above, as your questions are mostly answered there.
If you have any more specific query, please post again.

I am akshay I am currently doing my +2 . I had 9A+ and 1 A ( in my state it show  % more than 90 ) and expecting more than 85% in +2 .I want to do my degree abrode .I have considered other countries like Canada and Australia but cost for under graduate degree but cost are a lot higher. So my choices are limited. I saw many webs showing that German has low cost for degree programs . please suggest me steps for studying at germany . also suggest me university which has no tution cost . also explain the eligibility???

Most basic degree courses at German universities have no tuition fee - you pay just a small administrative fee of €200-500 per semester (which often includes unlimited use of public transport).
However, you do need
- a recognised (by the German authorities) educational certificate allowing university access
- sufficient German language skills, minimum B2 level (courses taught in English are not tuition-free!)
- financial resources for daily expenses of at least €8500/year (please note that this only allows a very basic student lifestyle and no luxuries like ethnic food or trips home).
For more information, please visit www.study-in.de

Thx.I have contacted some of the local education agency and the told me that in order to do undergraduate degree in Germany I have to complete 13 years of study in India . but in  the Indian educational system has only 12 years of studying....and they told me that I can go only after 13 years of study!!!!

@akshay797
Have you looked into the link beppi gave you (study-in.de) ?
Under requirements you find a section Prep courses & Foundation courses. You need a B1 level German language skills to join the course plus proof of financial resources and a valid visa.
After successful completion of the course you should be able to apply for undergraduate degree studies in Germany.

You can also contact http://anabin.kmk.org/ (only in German) regarding your degree recognition.

Yep.. Most of it.. I have some doubts..which is practically better coming to Germany for undergraduate degree or coming there for masters degree after doing undergraduate at my own country?... Also tell me about part time Jobs..... Is that possible to maintain living cost by doing part time jobs after classes?
(my family is not wealthy so they can't send me money)

akshay797 wrote:

Thx for that.... Also tell me about part time Jobs..... Is that possible to maintain living cost by doing part time jobs after classes ?

No, this is neither allowed nor possible.

What does that mean? Can't financial support our self by doing part time Jobs?

akshay797 wrote:

What does that mean? Can't financial support our self by doing part time Jobs?

If you are on a study visa, you are only allowed to work a limited number of hours. This would not be enough to financially support yourself. In addition, to obtain study visa you need to first proof sufficient funds.

Are there any scholarships you could apply for?

Not sure.... Can u suggest me one ?

akshay797 wrote:

Not sure.... Can u suggest me one ?

No, wouldn't know any right the top off my head (except maybe DAAD?). But google is always your friend....
There are probably scholarships from public or private organisations in India and some German ones.

Your school admin should also able to help with that.

Thx..... Only one more doubt . which is practically better coming to Germany for undergraduate degree or coming there for masters degree after doing undergraduate at my own country?.

The requirement for sufficient financial resources, and the restrictions on work, are the same for undergraduate and Master degree courses. Most undergraduate courses are tuition-free, while many Master courses (especially the ones taught in English) are not. Scholarships and other support is usually for advanced studies (i.e. after you have shown you are capable) and not for undergraduates - DAAD has a list of scholarships available at German universities.

Thx... A lot .... Is there any other EU country where we can study at low cost?

I heard that studying at some universities in India is pretty cheap - and the cost of living is also low.

I am from India ...the education is cheep .... Very cheep..... But I need better standards ... How about France ? I heard that the education cost is low there?

So, what do you actually want:Quality or low cost? (You generally get what you pay for.)
And are you willing to invest a few years of hard work, saving and learning the language to achieve your goal - or are you just a freeloader?

akshay797 wrote:

I am from India ...the education is cheep .... Very cheep..... But I need better standards ... How about France ? I heard that the education cost is low there?

France has similar rules to Germany: Proof of funds and  language proficiency and you need an offer of acceptance from a educational institution. Cost of living is comparable to Germany.

I agree with beppi: there is no point in trying to 'shop around' for a cheap and good education. There is always a catch! If you don't have the funds, you depend on scholarships. To get these scholarships, you have to work hard and put a big effort into the applications. In addition you should start learning the language of the host country asap.  My partner managed his undergraduate and postgraduate studies on scholarships. They are not easy to get, but what alternatives do you have?

There seem to be some scholarship opportunities for students from India in France:
http://www.hindustantimes.com/greatcare … 00538.aspxhttp://www.inde.campusfrance.org/en/pag … holarships

It is not only about cost or quality. Iam one the best and brightest student from my school and state . In kerala every one has degree and masters . we can only earn a little money by doing job in India ( 30000INR avg for an engineer ). That is the reason why I want to escape from this country. I want quality education but my family is not rich , that is the reason why Iam asking for low cost for edu. I have done a lot of search but the scholarship are very few and almost impossible to attain them in undergraduate level

I am very certain about my qualityes and ready for hard work

Well, then do as we suggested: Find a good job, work hard and save as much as possible - and on the side take classes and learn the language of your chosen destination. Then, when you have sufficient financial reserves and mastered the language, go to study at a good school there. Everything else is bound to fail.

And, you seem to be unaware that salaries in rich countries are only higher in theory and as long as the higher cost of living is not taken into consideration: Although a fresh graduate in Europe earns far more than INR30k by exchange rate, he/she will not be able to feed a family, have a household helper or take taxis often with it!
Also boasting of academic achievements ("Iam one the best and brightest student from my school and state") is seen as a very bad character trait in Western culture - especially if it comes with such bad English!

I know several Indians who returned to their home country after a few years of living abroad, because they could afford a much better lifestyle there!

akshay797 wrote:

It is not only about cost or quality. Iam one the best and brightest student from my school and state . In kerala every one has degree and masters . we can only earn a little money by doing job in India ( 30000INR avg for an engineer ). That is the reason why I want to escape from this country. I want quality education but my family is not rich , that is the reason why Iam asking for low cost for edu. I have done a lot of search but the scholarship are very few and almost impossible to attain them in undergraduate level

If you are one of the best in your state you should not have a problem getting a scholarship! If not for undergraduate studies, you should have a good chance for postgraduate funding. Why don't you want to try?

Again, I agree with beppi: if you have no other funds, you have to work and save up by yourself. There is no other alternative and please don't believe the fairytales people tell about salaries in Germany. Engineering graduates live  mostly average lifestyles. Unfortunately, wealth in these days can only be inherited and not earned up any more.

You also must have a high level of motivation and independence, if you want to make it at a German university. During my course (which is admittedly quite a few years back) only 40 % of the students made it to the end. The system can be unforgiving and nobody gives you pity-points. It is pretty clear-cut and by the books.  There is no back door from abroad into a German university than the two options we described.