Opening a bank account in France

Hi all,

is it difficult for expats to open a bank account in France ?

Which documents are required to open a bank account in France ?

How long does it take to open it ?

Is there any restriction for expats regarding the services (loans for instance)  ?

Which bank would you recommend ?

Thanks in advance for your participation,

Julien

Hello,
it can be challenging to open a bank account in France. it  can depend on your income / money you intend to deposit, too. at least you need to have an adress, proven by an EDF invoice, your id documents.
and it can take some time, especially la poste but on the good side they are more or less forced to accept you and open an account (but it can take up to three weeks...). once upon a time, I had hard time to interest banks to open an account for me, untill a french friend "patronised" me (parrainer in French).
good luck!

Thank you for this information airelle60! :)

[Moderated]

For me it was quite a long process to open a bank account in Lyon. I had to have a proof of employment, proof of accommodation and a form of identity. I then had to book an appointment at the bank and this lasted about an hour.

There was a lot of paperwork involved and this is what took the longest time. However, once all of that was over, I have been able to use internet banking and this has been very reliable and handy!