Can I ask some questions?

Hi There!  Can I ask some questions?  First, what is the primary reason that people from the US move or retire to Panama?  Do most maintain assets in Panama or in the US?  Are cars expensive there? Say if I was looking at a Hyundai or Kia?  What is gas like there now?  We are paying $3.75 a gallon in the Orlando area.  We want to be in the higher elevations, but close enough to a bigger town say David?  What would you recommend?  When you speak of monthly costs are you speaking of including the cost for housing such as rent or mortgage on top of the cost of utilities, food, etc. or is the $1300-$1800 outside the cost of housing? Any insight you could provide would be wonderful. Thank you so very much!  Tim & Prue

I have lived in Panama City for a year. I will attempt to answer some of your questions. People move here for a variety of reason: problems in the States ie: crazy ex-wife, for business, for the beautiful weather, cost of living, adventure. You need to maintain some assets in the U.S. but after arriving open an account here. There are a number of good banks here. You also need to maintain a U.S. address.I recommend moving your car her if it is paid for.It is a hassle but worth it in my opinion because cars are expensive here. Gas is currently $4 per gallon. Boquete or near there is an ideal place to live.Food, electricity,natural gas is cheap here. The cost of housing is so variable to the location, size and style..I can't really comment on that. I recommend coming down for 2-3 weeks too bird dog everything and get a feel of the place.
Best of luck,  Rico

Rico,

Like so many others that want to leave the US I am simply curious what exists out there.  We tend to stay here and I think we become stagnant because we do not seek something different than the very quick and stressful life we live.  With that said, I am not so naive as to realize moving someone else with a different culture and language is not for everyone.  If you were moving to another country, what would be your biggest concerns?  In most of my research it seems that English is becoming more and more prevalent in South America, so the language barrier is not at the top of my list.  I think I am more interested in finding places that offer the most flexibility in moving around the region.  Transportation?  Historical sites?  City life that is close buy...not big city life...but cafes, restaurants, museums, etc.  I would prefer to have opportunities to learn wherever we decide to go, so any areas near universities would be higher on our list.  So much to consider, but not sure where to begin!  I do not know enough of the lifestyle in South America to know where to start, but any advice from you would be a great help.  Hope to hear from you...thanks!