Dangers to dogs, pets, other animals

Hi,

Where we currently live there are several dangers to pets, leishmania from mosquitos, snakes, toads that shouldn't be licked, processional caterpillars.

Is there anything like that in Bulgaria that we need to be aware of please? We are looking at around Dobrich if that makes any difference to the type of critters that are around. We will make sure we have a secure fence so the dogs can't get out, or strays or anything get in.

We want to keep chickens too so aside from putting their fence fairly deep underground as well, is there anything we'd need to know for them too? They will be well fenced to keep the dogs away from them.

Thank you 1f601.svg

Probably all of the things you mentioned, plus the Dobrich region has quite a high rate of Lyme disease. Tiger mosquitoes are also an issue now - they bite all day rather than just in the evening.

I haven't seen any foxes, though I believe they are present in Bulgaria.  The region has a high jackal population. I hear them calling on the hill above our house, a somewhat eerie sound that sets all the village dogs howling and barking, too!

Probably all of the things you mentioned, plus the Dobrich region has quite a high rate of Lyme disease. Tiger mosquitoes are also an issue now - they bite all day rather than just in the evening.I haven't seen any foxes, though I believe they are present in Bulgaria.  The region has a high jackal population. I hear them calling on the hill above our house, a somewhat eerie sound that sets all the village dogs howling and barking, too!        -@janemulberry

yes there are foxs here. ive seen a few hit on the roads. never seen a live one though

@JosieCrew

Are you a worrier?

Stress/anxiety could have a bigger impact on your life than many/most of Bulgaria's critter population. :-)

Basically, take all the same precautions you do where you are now, and things will be fine. I doubt Bulgaria is more risky.

I was reading about the potential dangers to children and pets from processionary caterpillars.

Just seeing photos of them quite frankly scares the life out of me! Thankfully we dont have any pine trees near our home.

I had to research processionary caterpillars, never having heard of them. fascinating, but also Ugh!  They look like spitfire caterpillars, which were prolific where I grew up in Australia. Rather than firing poisonous hairs, they squirted strong acid!

Thankfully neither oak nor pine processionary caterpillars have reached our area of Bulgaria yet, but turns out there are some oak processionaries in our UK region!

@JosieCrew
Are you a worrier?

Stress/anxiety could have a bigger impact on your life than many/most of Bulgaria's critter population. :-)

-@gwynj

1f602.svg No I'm not, I just like to be fully prepared and know if there is anything I need to be aware of, dog releated especially, as I expect it will be some distance to a vet.

When we moved to Spain it was a bit surprising find out about about all these bitey things, as we don't really have anything like that in the UK. Dogs are safe in the garden and on walks, all you need to worry about is ticks really. It didn't occur to me to find out about any dangerous creatures.

With the toads we have here, if the dog licks it you have up to an hour, roughly, to get the dog to a vet and have the treatment, otherwise the dog will die.

Oh my! That is extreme!

I consulted Google - there are a couple of species of poisonous toads in Bulgaria, but it seems they aren't likely to fatally poison a pet even if eaten, just cause some temporary drooling and vomiting.

Most toads are poisonous. If they are true toads, they are poisonous.

True, but some are more toxic than others. I'm very happy to see and hear toads in my garden.