We could use advice on opening a bank account

@Julien Greetings! My name is Rick and we plan on moving to Atenas, CR in August of 2025. We have purchased a home and are attempting to rent it out until we move there permanently. We could use advice on opening a bank account.

We are working with a great lawyer in town who will help us with temporary residence application when we arrive and hope to use his legal help in many ways. 

I hope to meet other expats in the area and learn from all of  you. Glad to be here!

@roarkrick

Welcome on board Rick !

Thank you for sharing your project with members !

Should you have any questions, feel free to open a new thread on the Costa Rica forum to seek advice from members.

All the best

Bhavna

@roarkrick

All you need to open a bank account is your passport; a phone number and or Email; and some 'kind' of address here... even the address of a house you don't yet live in; or your hotel.    I literally used the address of a house I was thinking of buying because it was in my 'head'...  since there is no mail here... the address is not important.   I was not a resident.  Email is important for notices and receipts. 

I use Banco Nacional (BN) ... I have never had an issue... but they will always question you as to 'where' the money came from that you are depositing... whether it is cash, or a wire transfer.  They will put a hold on things until you can show them proof as to where the money came from.  A bank withdrawal slip won't work.  You need to show the 'sale' documents from selling assets or properties; a formal withdrawal from an annuity or like; your SS  'awards' letter; etc.   I always have the closing papers from the sale of my house back in the USA...  thus, never an issue; just a wait... especially if a wire transfer is more than $5K.  Smaller amounts tend to go somewhat unnoticed... the banks 'assume' you will be getting regular deposits from somewhere.

So... all you need to do is walk into the bank, hand over the information; and then hand over some 'cash' to open the accounts (highly recommended to have two accounts here... one in CR Colones; and the other in US dollars to receive your international transfers.)   They will give you the account numbers; info for elec. banking; and even debit cards for each account (you go back a few days later to pick up the cards).   It's quite easy.  They will also give you the account numbers and IBAN numbers for international wire transfers.   You don't need residency, nor a lawyer.  Many people have accounts here that don't have residency yet because they're still living/working abroad.  But you may want to inquire as to which personal banker, at the branch you choose, speaks at least some English... or take somebody with you, that you trust, to do the translating for you. 

Electronic Banking is really really handy here... that is how we pay all of our utilities here (you can also pay them with cash at the local grocery, or go to the utility office if it is convenient) and you can move funds back and forth between accounts.

Before you go to a bank to get an account... You can make a 'list' of items and questions that are important to you, translate them into Spanish...  and 'show' them to the banker.

It took me around 30-45 minutes

Good Luck