Gross Restroom Manners in Brazil

I don't get this phenomenon that whenever I go into a public restroom, I almost always see someone blowing their nose in their hands and all over the sink. Gross. So now I have to touch the faucet and wash my hands after they blown their nose all in the sink and all over the faucet handle. I've also seen this with a Brazilian family member in my bathroom. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't get it? I also regularly see people walking down the street and blowing their nose into the air while holding one nostril. What the hell? And I'm not exaggerating. I see this daily. Is this normal? It makes me not want to touch anything in the restroom.

04/23/24 @jasonlovesdogs.   The holding one nostril and blowing out the other outdoors is very common and used to gross me out, too, until I got used to it.  Nowadays, I just try hard  to always make sure that I'm upwind of the action.

I try to avoid using public restrooms when anyone else is there, or to touch any surfaces when I do, so I've never observed that aspect, although it doesn't surprise me.  One more reason not to touch any surfaces!

@jasonlovesdogs, I have also noticed that only few people carry handkerchiefs - cloth or paper.  I tend to have one or two paper ones on me all the time.  I will use those to touch yucky surfaces as needed and discard after.  As such I am not so worried about the germs any more.  If you are still worried, then I would recommend bringing a hand sanitizer that you can use after - that's what my friend still does.

Wet wipes, dear chaps, wet wipes.

You can touch as many green taps as you like and remain uncontaminated.

I always have a small pack with me, and have done since I started wandering away from the UK.

Green tap - No problem

No soap - No problem

No toilet paper - No problem

The things are obviously not as good as washing your hands, but antiseptic wipes do a job

Jeeeesus Christ. You girls are so prude.

And the Russians burp at the table, during meals.  It's actually a sign of respect as saying, great cooking!

Go take a dump on the street as they do in India.  And then realize is not as bad.

And  the old Hankie is gone wayside. No one dress jackets with inner pockets anymore. And very few people bother to buy wipes to go carry.

I am sure they do the same thing in the US.  You just haven't seen just yet.

Let them blow their snots .   There is a lot of smog in the cities out here. This stuff builds up.

You guys are worse than Pauly Walnuts from the Sopranos.

Go take a dump on the street as they do in India.  And then realize is not as bad.

-@sprealestatebroker

Nowadays in most US cities on the West Coast, if you see a brown blob on the sidewalk, it's probably not from the pets as the owners tend to clean up after them....

Yes, we need to adjust to the environment as asking to do the opposite is really, really hard....