Is Germany still an attractive destination for Expats?

Internations, an online organisation for Expats worldwide, has just published their yearly survey of worldwide destinations for Expats:

https://cms.in-cdn.net/cdn/file/cms-med … Report.pdf

In it, Germany ranks 49th out of 53 assessed places, among the lowest in the world. This is a far cry from past times of German engineering glory and the influx of many foreign workers, who came to stay and whose decendants contribute diversity of our society until today.

Nowadays Germany seems to mostly welcome refugees, who come with temporary intentians (and usually have little choice of where to go).

I welcome readers to contribute their opinions on this: Do you agree? What could have caused this decline? What will be the consequences? Can (or should) anything be done to improve the situation?

I lived in Germany for 15 years; it's a great country and I would have stayed had I not had a Dutch wife with different ideas and a large family base in the Netherlands, so a compromise was reached, and we lived in one of the border towns, so Enschede/Gronau were like home to me and my family - and still are whenever we head back to the Netherlands.  My family are all fluent German speakers (I'm told I speak it like a native; of Istanbul - I think you have to live there to find it funny)

I've browsed through the link; the main gripes directed at Germany amongst Expats seems to be:

• Digital life.
  • Bureaucracy
  • Language
  • Housing

My thoughts are that the first one surprised me, the rest it has always been so, but it has never seemed to put off those who see it in a more favourable light and if I'm honest, they are also pretty common issues across the whole of Europe where countries want people to come and live and work, but they must integrate.  Housing has really become an issue since asylum seekers began arriving en-masse as they are competing with Expats for a very small commodity (cheap, affordable housing).

Well, I don't rate Internations one bit, they always seem to slate Vienna, Austria. They come across as if they live in a bubble and never venture out. It is quite sad.

The decline in Germany's ranking as an expat destination prompts questions about factors like bureaucracy, attitudes towards foreigners, and economic shifts. Consequences could include difficulty attracting skilled workers and impacting cultural diversity. Solutions may involve immigration policy reform, language programs, and fostering inclusivity.

I will be unexpectedly moving there soon and will update.

Of course Germany is an attractive country to live in. The question is what are one's expectations. It is generally a safe, clean, well run country with a high standard of living and the highest level of education in the world. It is not the richest country nor does it have the most spectacular scenery but there are plenty of opportunities. That said, one has to be prepared to learn the language and integrate to the culture if they expect good job and social opportunities. For people obsessed about getting the highest salary for certain positions and doing so without needing to learn the native language then they might be better off elsewhere.

12,000 responses out of 3,000,000 possible, is this significant? International is an organization where each member pays a membership fee. So this selects the members. Most of them are expatriates sent on orders by large international companies, with positions where English dominates, they remain in the big cities. there is little contact with the locals. and they make comparisons with countries with low standards of living, where there they had an Olympic swimming pool in their parks, here they cannot have that. jean luc

1f609.svg

They raise three problems recognized by the Germans themselves. bureaucracy is very heavy, intractable, it's true, but also incorruptible. housing because the market is very tight following the wave of immigration in 2015 and 2022 (with the arrival of 1 million war refugees from Ukraine). As for the German language, it is not universal like English or Spanish or French. But I do not agree that Germans are unfriendly with foreigners. I am French, I speak French and German, but not English, what should I do with a person who only speaks English??? In addition, how to become friends with a person who you know will only stay 3-4 years, and what to do if they send their children to international schools at 15,000-20,000€ per year per child. Helmut Khol, the former chancellor, said "to sell you we want to speak English, but to sell us, you have to speak to us in German. After work, German colleagues say that's English. jean luc 1f609.svg